Uh-oh already - newbie with runny nose

• 16 Replies

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Uh-oh already - newbie with runny nose
« on: March 01, 2011, 07:09 »
Oh dear.  Picked my new pullets up on Sunday afternoon, and today noticed Sylvia (Light Sussex) has a runny nose.  :( She's showing no other symptoms of illness and is eating, drinking and foraging around as much as anyone else.

I first noticed her nose was dirty when she had been digging in the garden, then on a closer look I could see a thin discharge. 

I suppose I will be due for a trip back to the breeder with her?  (An hour and a half drive each way.)  The local vet charges (I think) $60 for a consultation + any meds extra. 

In the opinion of more experienced chook-keepers, is a runny nose enough to justify returning a chook or visiting a vet?  Or should I just wait and see?

Casey76

Re: Uh-oh already - newbie with runny nose
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 07:36 »
It could be in response to the different environment; new bedding etc.  Unless she starts sneezing, or it continues for more than a couple of days I'd probably hang tight for now.

Can you get Rescue Remedy in NZ?  It might be worth putting a few drops in their water.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 08:12 »
like Casey said it could be just a change in the environment and as well as keeping an eye on her to see if she starts sneezing keep a check on her breathing - if she develops a rattly chest then she may need antibiotics.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 08:14 »
Thanks Casey and Joyfull.  I do have some rescue remedy so will add some to their water in the morning and keep an eye on her.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 22:53 »
Probably worth phoning the breeder if it's the one who you posted about - he should be able to give you some ideas about what he would do - and you've prepared the ground if you do decide to go for returning her.

Also, if all chickens lived together when with the breeder, others could show similar symptons in the next few days, so it might be worth leaving it a few days to make sure everyone else is healthy before you set out on the long hot drive. 
ManicMum

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 23:21 »
If the breeder is worth his salt he will be willing to help and may even be able to send you something that you can put in the water (antibiotic wise).
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

jinty1911

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 10:51 »
How are your chickens today Lindeggs?

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 21:50 »
Not much change with the runny-nose one.  She has sneezed a couple of times, but given the hours I have spent hanging out in the run with them  :blush: a couple of sneezes doen't seem much.  Her breathing is clear and un-laboured, but she does sound snuffly when she has her beak buried in mash and is forced to breathe through her stuffy nose.

I have rung and left a message with the breeder this morning and will let you know what he says.  I'm half hoping he will suggest I take her back as I don't want to start out with a sick chick, but on the other hand I'm already attached to my little Sylvia so I'm hoping she will get better and I can keep her.

All six are eating well.  Actually they are eating and pooping me out of house and home!  :D  They are all excellent foragers and seem to enjoy finding and eating every bug, worm, slug and seed in their run.  Don't be surprised if they pop up in your garden as sometimes I think they are determined to dig their way to the other side of the world.  :blink:

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 23:29 »
Well the breeder called me back promptly (always a good sign) and we discussed Sylvia's condition.  He suggested that, as her symptoms are still mild, I should start by adding a good multivitamin to their food.  He said human multivitamins are fine if they are crushed up well, and anything designed to support the human immune system and the respiratory system will help.

He also asked if I had any colloidal silver on hand, as it is a mild antiseptic/antibiotic and may help if she has a respiratory infection.  He suggested avoiding using prescription-type antibiotics unless I want to have a swab taken and identify a specific bacterial infection.  He's not in favour of giving antibiotics for non-specific symptoms, as it can build up antibiotic resistance and cause trouble later.

I think this all sounds like good, sound advice so will do as he suggests and keep monitoring her.

prideparkpaddy

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 22:14 »
I had a sneezy hen so I boiled some nettles up and gave her those with all the juice that came out of them. After a few days she started to pick up and now she is fine and the name sneezy has stuck

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 07:59 »
Here's an update - a month since I first posted... and it's not good news!  :(

Sylvia's runny nose did clear up, but was replaced with more sneezing.  She still seemed happy in herself - eating, drinking, foraging - very active and alert; in fact Chief Chicken of the flock.  So I decided just to keep monitoring her.

A few days ago (after a few rainy days) she started having a rattly chest when she breathed so I decided it was time to act!  I made an appointment with the vet for the next day.  But that night I got a call to say my 1-year-old nephew was in hospital after suffering a seizure and my sister asked me to come to the hospital (a 2-hour scooter ride away).  Now as much as I'm attached to little Sylvia, I'm more attached to my nephew so of course I went.

When I got home Sylvia's breathing was worse so I finally got her to the vet today.  After much head-shaking and tsk-tsking he said "the prognosis is not good."

He prescribed antibiotics for what he assumes is a respiratory infection.  I have Sylvia in a box in the corner of the room and I can hear her laboured breathing.  :(  Poor little girl sounds like she's snoring but I know she's not.

Mistake made.  Lesson learned.  Next time I will act much faster.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 08:19 »
if she has a respiratory infection and has had for a while there really is no point in separating her from the others any infection will have already been passed over. Treat all of them with the antibiotics (is it stuff to go in her water? - if so this makes it easier to treat them all).
If it is bought on by stress such as mycoplasma can be (if this is what she has) then the separation can make her worse. It sounds like the move to your house could have triggered this and the breeder may have bred from hens that had had myco in the past.
What A/B's did the vet give you - most have an egg withdrawal period?

Rubycluck

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 13:10 »
Sounds more like infectious bronchitis to me.

Treat them all as Joyfull suggests, Tylan if you can get it from your vet.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 00:26 »
The antibiotic is a broad spectrum one called Vibravet.
http://www.pfizeranimalhealth.co.nz/sites/pfizeranimalhealth/Pages/Vibravet.aspx

It's in a 100mg tablet which I have to break in half and give to Sylvia twice a day.  The vet only gave me enough to treat one chicken.  He knows I have six pullets that I got from the same breeder at the same time, but didn't mention anything about treating the others.  ???

The vet clinic is closed today as it's Saturday.

Sylvia does seem much better today - her wheezing has reduced a lot so I hope that means the ABs are working. 

bantam novice

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 08:57 »
Just wanted to wish you and Sylvia good luck.  Keep us posted
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

question
runny nose

Started by warrenlovinmama on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post September 09, 2011, 23:11
by warrenlovinmama
xx
Runny nose on new hen - any advice please?

Started by Khususi on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 24, 2010, 09:55
by carolbriar
xx
runny nose and sneezing- again

Started by jhub on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 20:56
by jhub
xx
Help confused re runny nose

Started by Loulih on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 11, 2012, 20:55
by Loulih

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 37 queries.