high juice recipe and advice

• 9 Replies

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
high juice recipe and advice
« on: March 30, 2011, 16:00 »
I have been to Morrison's today and seen that their 1ltr bottles of high juice are on offer 2 for £2 (I went with the intention of buying ribena but having seen this decided to wait) I am sure I have seen somewhere on here that you can use it for wine? I noted there was one at 45% and one at 50% can these be used and if so can I please bother you for a recipe.

Many thanks Nicky

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: high juice recipe and advice
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 16:04 »
No an expert, but I have only ever used fruit juice or once Ribena for wine.

I'm not sure about high juice as its only like a fruit squash isn't it?  Would it be strong enough?

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 16:07 »
This is what I am wondering but I am sure I have seen posts including it so thought I would ask?

Thank you Nicky

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 22:04 »
Had a bit of a search and found this one, but he used 2 cartons of blueberry juice as well!

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=31493.msg377499#msg377499

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 22:37 »
Thanks GrannieAnnie I think I will try it as a Ribena replacement and see what happens. I think ribena is 40% and these are 45% and 50% so I suppose as long as there are no preservatives in it it will ferment and do the job? Is there anything else I should avoid?

Many thanks Nicky

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 22:57 »
Well, my ribena one was nice!

Avoid?   Yes, peapod wine and potato wine!!!    :lol: :lol: :lol:

When I'm feeling lazy though, I use the cheap fruit juices from the supermarkets, mainly apple and orange, but I sometimes buy the horse carrots in a big bag.  The last one I bought was £1.80.  Carrots make a lovely wine.  And the chickens got the carrots afterwards!!  :D

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 20:23 »
Ok I did post about this last week and as I did not get a firm yes or no took a chance and bought the high juice from morrisons in the hope it would be ok for wine I was in a rush so did not check the label! Have I made an error in judgement not a problem if I have as I will make ice pops from it! A link was provided for a recipe that included it but not just it on it's own so I am still slightly unsure?

Ok I bought

Blood orange and pink graefruit - it states Concentrated no added sugar blood orange and grapefruit high juice squash with sweetners. Contains naturally occuring sugars. Ingredients Fruit juice from concentrate 50%, blood orange 25%, orange 15%,pink grapefruit 10%, water,citric acid,flavourings,acidity regulator,sodium citrate,Preservatives pottasium sorbate,sodium metabisulphite,sweetners sucralose, acesulfame k, concentrates safflower, carrot, antioxident ascorbic acid

Summer fruits - concentrated summer fruits high juice squash fruit juice from concentrate 50%apple 35% strawberry 12% raspberry 3% sugar, water,glucose-fructose syrup,citric acid,flavourings, natural colour anthocyanins,preservatives,pottasium sorbate,sodium metabisulphite, antioxidant ascorbic acid

Apple and elderflower - concentrate apple and elderflower flavour high juice squash. Apple juice from concentrate 50%, sugar, water, glucose-fructose syrup,malic acid, flavourings, contains elderflower extract preservatives pottasium sorbate, sodium metabisulphite, antioxidant ascorbic acid

Blackcurrent - concentrated no added sugar blackcurrent high juice squash with sweetners, Contains naturally occuring sugars. Water, blackcurrent juice from concentrate 45%, acidity regulator sodium citrate, flavouring, preservatives pottasium sorbate sodium metabisulphite, sweetners, sucrolose, acesulfame k, citric acid.

Ok so my dilema is preservatives? Will these make wine on their own or do they need another form of juice with them? If so what do I do?

Ok many thanks in advance Nicky

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 07:33 »
Preservatives pottasium sorbate,sodium metabisulphite,sweetners sucralose, acesulfame k, concentrates safflower, carrot, antioxident ascorbic acid

Ok so my dilema is preservatives? Will these make wine on their own or do they need another form of juice with them? If so what do I do?

Ok many thanks in advance Nicky
you will need to boil it for at least 15 mins mabey even 20 to evaprate the preservatives ribena has the same preservatives in it and you can make a great wine from it

also i would add a carton of white grape juice to it to add body

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 09:15 »
Brilliant many thanks.

Nicky

hamstergbert

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 11:37 »
.....sodium metabisulphite...

Especially this needs to be neutralised if you can - it is used in beer and wine making to sterilise equipment, mostly by being highly toxic to yeasts (to prevent wild yeasts spoiling the brew).

To see if it is going to be a major problem, try extracting a cupful of  your mix, stir in a spoonful of sugar at room temp then dose with a bit of yeast and clingfilm it over the top and sit somewhere moderately warm.  If in a few days fermentation has started you should be fine for your full brew - and to avoid waste you can of course tip your trial mix into the main mix as an extra 'starter'.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

xx
High Juice

Started by fallen angel on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post October 01, 2015, 21:20
by grinling
xx
apple juice

Started by wayne170534 on Homebrew

8 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 00:28
by aqua
xx
Fruit Juice

Started by joshwain on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post January 14, 2009, 21:03
by joshwain
xx
Supermarket juice wine

Started by Dave NE on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post January 17, 2016, 11:39
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 39 queries.