Too many roosters?

• 3 Replies

ganner

• Dorset
Too many roosters?
« on: December 10, 2012, 18:06 »
Hi I now have 3 roosters? I am trying to move 2-3 of them on, would the fact of the girls having three roosters possibly put them off laying, I appreciate its cold but we have 1 egg from the same girl from fifteen girls & I thought it maybe too many roosters putting them off laying.
Plus one of the younger ones was squaring up to Rockie & all he’s been through I don’t want anything happening to him.

Many thanks & happy Christmas to you ALL

:blink:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Too many roosters?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 18:32 »
no having roosters wouldn't have made them stop laying. However it is not a good idea to have several roosters in the same pen - they will fight and this can end up with the death  of a bird.
How old are your girls and what breeds. Also have they gone through or going through a moult.
Staffies are softer than you think.

ganner

• Dorset
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 18:17 »
Hi Joyfull, they are all a mixture, & roam free in the paddock, I don’t know if they have moulted there is a few feathers about in the field so yes I guess they are  :wub:

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 18:31 »
I currently have 4 young roosters in the same run and coop with each other. The only reason they are alright together is the fact they are young. The oldest one did have a rooster friend he grew up with, they used to cuddle up with each other and rule the roost. One was massive and dopey and the other was light on his feet but not so big so I started calling them Master and Blaster (taken from the mad max movies). Anyhow one day I went out there and the white cockerel (master) was being chased by Blaster (huge maran cockerel). Master was covered in blood so I thought it was best to take the "attacker" out of the equation and killed blaster the maran. This all happened when they got to about 8months old. It was the first of my own cockerals i'd killed so thought it would hit a nerve with me but now im 2 months on from that and dont miss him in the slightest. In fact another is coming up through the ranks (dusty) and im guessing there will be another brawl soon.

Im keeping a couple of pure breds for breeding but all the hybrid cockerals are destined for the table.

If your paddock is quite large I dont think you'll have a problem for maybe a year if lucky. I hope my story helped out somehow.

Good luck  ;)

xx
Bad Roosters

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 05, 2008, 02:12
by princesspoultry
xx
Two Roosters

Started by Chicken_Lover on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 19, 2011, 20:27
by bantam novice
clip
Roosters or hens?

Started by Losingtheplotckens on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post December 05, 2022, 06:35
by perris
xx
roosters un the hen house

Started by tbam on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 13, 2006, 17:13
by John

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 39 queries.