fixed pens

• 5 Replies

Oakdalebirds

fixed pens
« on: April 04, 2010, 11:23 »
Can anyone assist me in this .........I have had my 5 girls for about a year and they have a fixed run for them to play in . I take the top inch off every few months to avoid it going sour but have been told i can put some form of disinfectant into the soil to help manage it !!!!!!!! . I do not have the room for two runs and can not keep the birds inside can anyone offer suggestions.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: fixed pens
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 17:19 »
try Stalosan F this is a powder disinfectant and I have heard of people using this in runs  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

lisa80

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 19:34 »
we have fixed runs ans use stalosan f, also when it gets really smelly like it is today because of all the rain, hubby rakes the top off and then rotivates it.This helps keep it fresh and also levels the ground out as my girls love to dig big holes to dust bath in :)

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 10:30 »
You could also cover the run with dry leaves as the hens love to scratch about in them. They're easy to change but will last quite a long time. I do this in one section of our aviary and it keeps a pair of peacocks happy! Our hens do have a large run but tend to focus on areas where there are fallen leaves...must hid lots of lovely tasty morsels!

Judi

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 11:57 »
Brian rotavates our fixed runs, but before he does it.  I spray with Jeyes first and let it dry, then sprinkle with garden lime as advised by Muntjac.  Only thing is, best to keep the girls off the run while its drying if you can.

If you just rotavate it, and there is anything nasty in the soil, 'beasties' can live for ages just sitting there waiting to pounce.  On the other hand, I think if you have the same birds in the run, they are more immune to what's already there, its when you introduce new hens, they are more susceptible.

But someone with more knowledge will probably shoot that theory down in flames!!  :)

Oakdalebirds

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 08:37 »
Thanks to all that replied

but will the stalosan f do any damage to my garden if it washes down ?? :D

xx
Pens

Started by blossom1044 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 12, 2008, 20:53
by milly8
xx
Temporary Pens

Started by Vi on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 04:42
by Vi
xx
fold away pens

Started by jjmack on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 25, 2009, 09:20
by Sassy
xx
Broody arks/pens in Essex?

Started by Sparkle on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 17:13
by Caralou

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 39 queries.