What variety of blackberry is this?

• 8 Replies

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
« on: August 19, 2007, 11:17 »
It has no thorns and the fruit is exceptionally sweet. It's not on my plot, but hoping to get some.....

Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

splodger

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 11:26 »
i just refer to it as a cultivated blackberry - don't know the variety - but they are lovely berries. i do know that there is a variety of thornless bb called oregon - might be that.

a friend has one - and i've just pulled a couple of suckers to try in my fruit cage - and i've layered a few shoots in her cage too.

muntjac

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 11:29 »
looks like loch ness to me , if you feed them in winter with a good manure and then mulch cl0ose to the stems to help minimise moisture loss in the summer and cut and train the stems when the brambles are flowering increase the water allowance by watering the row with a hose or 2 gallon water per plant per 2nd day ,then i promise you fruits as big as a mans thumb and really sweet and juicy. the perfect time to pick brambles is when the skin on them bulges when you press on them with a finger nail .unlike other fruits unripe brambles dont store very well and dont ripen well as the moisture escapes from them. for freezing them pick soak for an hour wash remove any rubbish or bust fruit . allow to drain for a couple of hours then freeze on a baking tray singley ,try to make no contact with the next bramble . freeze for 2 hours bag up with metal spoon ..( the warmth from the hand can start thawing process )
still alive /............

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 15:05 »
Over here we just call them the thornless variety as there's only 1. They do sucker and I have several suckers now growing in my garden, far from my raspberries as they will cross pollinate.  Even as new transplants they need loads of water and the only way they keep, as Munty says, is freezing. And yes, they do thaw very quickly in your hand. Only problem I find with the really huge fruits is the seed size.

jacnal

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 17:40 »
Thanks guys.

I'll sure be smiling loads to the guy whose plot they're growing so I can ask for cuttings  :wink: . What exactly are suckers?

I'll be coming back to this post so I know exactly how to look after them - thanks again Munty!

I wonder if cross pollination gives rise to loganberry? Or does logan berry just happen when blackberries and raspberries are grafted?

WG.

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 17:56 »
Quote from: "jacnal"
 What exactly are suckers?
People who give cuttings to people who smile at them !  :wink:  :wink:

Actually, pieces of roots which throw up new stems some distance from the parent plant.  I'll put it in the Glossary

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 19:36 »
To propagate a blackberry the best way is to bend over one of this years shoots  bury the tip in the ground 2"deep. Ignore it mainly, chuck some water at it occasionally and come back next spring and you have a new and rooted plant
In fact mine does this to me every year of its own accord  :lol: and yes I think Munty's right its  probably a loch ness, mines just ripening, fruits as big as a 50p easily.
I think I have a spare if you need one Jac
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

jacnal

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 20:34 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Quote from: "jacnal"
 What exactly are suckers?
People who give cuttings to people who smile at them !  :wink:  :wink:

Actually, pieces of roots which throw up new stems some distance from the parent plant.  I'll put it in the Glossary

Oi you!!!

Those are kind friendly people. Thanks for the suckers definition.

Ps: The chutney went down a storm with Mr Jacnal. Very yum with cheese and crackers......

jacnal

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 20:38 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
To propagate a blackberry the best way is to bend over one of this years shoots  bury the tip in the ground 2"deep. Ignore it mainly, chuck some water at it occasionally and come back next spring and you have a new and rooted plant
In fact mine does this to me every year of its own accord  :lol: and yes I think Munty's right its  probably a loch ness, mines just ripening, fruits as big as a 50p easily.
I think I have a spare if you need one Jac

Hey Richy,

I'd love your spare one, but not yet. I'm off to hospital tomorrow, and I've no prepared place to put anything new yet. Can I have it in 4 weeks time? I'll by then be well enough to get Mr Jacnal digging whilst I plant (I hope). I'll PM you when I've a place ready. Thank you so very much!!!!!!!

xx
Which blackberry ?

Started by tode on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 16:39
by tode
clip
Thornless Blackberry

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 07, 2021, 17:04
by AndyRVTR
xx
Blackberry Trouble

Started by Tom Hill on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 06, 2016, 15:22
by Yorkie
xx
blackberry question

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post December 10, 2007, 20:18
by DD.

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 33 queries.