New to this forum? Not sure how to do things? Check out the help

Compacted ground

• 5 Replies

Magicmel

Compacted ground
« on: August 26, 2020, 20:39 »
Hello
Just thought I’d tell you about a new allotment I’ve just ‘let myself in for’. Most of the earth has been covered in black plastic  sheeting, for what must be years as it’s like concrete underneath. Brambles have infested the entire plot with roots going deep into the ground. Caught neighbours outside the site fly tipping weeds and cuttings over the fence. Shed locked with padlock nobody has a key to. Scrap metal piled on top of black plastic that brambles have grown into. Greenhouse with brambles growing into rubbish inside. Car roof rack used as pond full of stagnant water and crud. Copious amounts of sodden wet carpets welded to the ground with roots, terrain like an obstacle course - oh joy! I must be off my rocker! I would be most pleased if the initiated of those among you have any wise ideas. Gratefully, Mel 🤣
0E36E6F7-93B6-4A2F-BD73-7445BA945661.jpeg
D8CB158D-F371-4130-AACF-8982C0370E48.jpeg
E47D1214-79B0-4727-B50A-81F275AE0DD0.jpeg

rowlandwells

Re: Compacted ground
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 08:59 »
well Mags it looks like you've taken on something there but its putting it back to an allotment plot that's what your looking at is it not

well its not impossible its achievable with time and effort quite a lot of us gardeners have experienced clearing up someone's mess when taking on a new allotment plot so what to do well I'm going to tell you what i would do first of clear the plot of all that damn rubbish that's been dumped and those carpets and poly sheeting i hate those things being used on an allotment  :mad: then set to cut those brambles down don't forget to wear a good pair of thick gloves and a sharp pair of secateurs then you can clear all the weed rubbish left by others so hopefully you will then have a more clearer picture of the next task

now given the time i would be spraying the hole plot with roundup then after a couple of weeks when you can see the weeds are dying of its time for the spade dig it over remove any roots or dodo in the ground then after all that you can then think what your going to do next year

plan out your plot and you may need to feed the ground could be an idea to get a soil testing kit you could always think about growing some green manure or possibly get some other manure to put some goodness back in the ground

after doing all that you could find the ground will get back to normal growing conditions i had problems on one plot with soil capping and i covered it with a thick layer of horse manure and it perfect now no capping good growing soil

as for your greenhouse well you've got all winter to sort that out and bring it back to life anyway that's my advise i forgot to say if you one of those who don't us chemical sprays then its back to the good old spade and fork good luck so with your allotment

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 09:17 »
Welcome to the forum.
The site owner's advice about allotment clearing is here https://www.allotment-garden.org/allotment-information/clearing-new-allotment/
I'd also go down the strimming/Glyphosate route, at least to clear the plot in the first place. The weedkiller, after a couple of sprays, makes sure there is no regrowth from broken roots left after digging. More weeds will grow, but at least, they won't be the same ones again!
Thought: you may find that there are actually some paths, once you start clearing the dross, so decide if you need them before spraying everywhere..  ::)
Good luck!

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 10:56 »
I ask myself time and time again, why do the councils let these allotments get into such a state before handing them on?  I'm sure "those responsible" should walk the allotment trail and keep an yey on things.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 16:52 »
i agree  with you Tony 100% your absolutely rite someone's not doing there job rite i know some councils have very strict rules about keeping there allotment tidy and without doing so plot holder run the risk of being evicted especially if there's a waiting list for allotments and as said Megi has quite a few hours work ahead to clear up the mess left behind

jambop

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 11:34 »
Well to me being an optimistic type I would say there is a lot of very useful stuff already for you onsite! If it were me? I would not even give it any other thought than making raised beds. Clearing enough area to make up one bed at a time. I have certainly noticed how much easier my gardening has been since I started following Charles Dowding's methods... look him up on youtube.

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 46 queries.