sungold tomatoes

• 8 Replies

ricky

sungold tomatoes
« on: September 16, 2014, 13:51 »
Hi I've been growing tomatoes for over 40 years and this year tried sungold beautiful tasting tomatoes but over 70% of them split with me I know all about watering etc now my season is over so if I still living next year can anybody advise on a similar tomato to sungold that doesn't have this thin skinned splitting problem many thanks ricky

Growster...

Re: sungold tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 15:02 »
I think with Sungold, they're fickle, in that they're small, and any odd take-up or diminution of watering makes more difference than say with a standard tom like Alicante.

Our early Sungold were perfect, as were the later ones - even the outdoor plants, but splitting started much later on, when conditions kept them very warm, both in and outside, and watering became a precious project each day.

We still have a few on their sixth trusses, and they're not a problem funnily enough!

I reckon it's just one of those years that you say, "well we got most of them..."

It'll be different next year, but we'll still grow Sungold!

Auntiemogs

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 15:22 »
Orange Paruche are a bit bigger then Sungold, and less prone to splitting.  I also find that they're less likely to split on harvesting if you leave the 'tops' on by bending them against the little elbow 'thingummy' where they meet the stalk.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

LotuSeed

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 15:47 »
You could try Sunsugar. They're very similar in size and taste to Sungold.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 17:07 »
Orange Paruche have replaced Sungold as my favourite tom - I had some split this year but perhaps not as many as sungolds in previous years. I also think they taste (a bit) nicer. Worth a go I'd say.

Cheers,
Balders

Steveharford

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 19:29 »
I will be growing Sungold again. Picked just before really ripe and they have that lovely tartness  and few splitters. The ones left too long on the plant had a tendency to split but there were so many fruit it was no big deal. They still taste good anyway.

Muls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 19:49 »
I want a larger version of Sungold, any ideas please, want the same flavour just bigger! Not asking for much or anything ........

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 06:06 »
I want a larger version of Sungold, any ideas please, want the same flavour just bigger! Not asking for much or anything ........

Someone here mentioned that they had sowed some Sungold seed from a previous year, and although they're F1, the result this year was a larger Sungold, with similar attributes.

This may well be a lucky strike but I'll try a few next year to see what happens!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 07:53 »

Someone here mentioned that they had sowed some Sungold seed from a previous year, and although they're F1, the result this year was a larger Sungold, with similar attributes.

This may well be a lucky strike but I'll try a few next year to see what happens!

Ahhh - c'est moi  :lol:

It always is an unknown when you sow seeds from an F1 cultivar, but this time it worked well  :D The tomatoes were on untidy trusses, not the beautifully arranged symmetry you get with sungold, but then they tasted great. Sungella is similar to Sungold btw.

I find that if you pick the fruit with it's calyx on, they do not split as much.

Orange Paruche was a first timer for us, and although very good the skin seemed thicker somehow. Maybe the conditions.... hard to tell
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Best Tomatoes

Started by spud on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

10 Replies
Last post October 12, 2014, 20:06
by LotuSeed
xx
Tomatoes

Started by colinc on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

10 Replies
Last post July 28, 2023, 10:19
by Hortic
xx
tomatoes

Started by archies plot on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 00:42
by Paul Plots
xx
Tomatoes

Started by Austin Brownlee on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post June 02, 2015, 12:39
by Dave NE

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 40 queries.