sterile egg peritonitus

• 10 Replies

Hawkins

sterile egg peritonitus
« on: December 29, 2009, 18:31 »
Ive had a poorly chicken at home for a while under supervision of the vet and today he advised that she probably has sterile egg peritonitus after drawing fluid from her abdomen. He thinks she is in with a fighting chance as long as we can get the fluid shifted so she has started a course of water tablets (frusemide).

Apart from her swollen tummy she is doing really well still eating, drinking and enjoying Christmas television.

Has anyone had any experience of looking after a chicken with this.

Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Rubellite

Re: sterile egg peritonitus
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 20:12 »
Not here, I'm rather relieved to say - good luck  :nowink:

dizzylizzie

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 20:23 »
Hi Em... im really sorry, and shocked to hear this!. you have obviously done so well looking after her for her to be still going after a week! well done  :). fingers crossed for you both, be thinking of you xx

raeburg

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 21:21 »
I had one treated the same way by the vet.  Sadly she only lived a couple of months after the treatment (although in extremley good health) and then suddenly had a heart attack and died in my arms.  It was worth while to give a poor old ex bat a chance and she had a happy retirement.

Hawkins

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 13:30 »
Thats what Im hoping Rae, he did say she may only live another year or so but he likes ex-bats and said she was definately worh giving a chance.

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 13:38 »
The other thing you could do is keep her diet very light, S.E.P does occur more frequently with fatter hens than lean ones.
Has she been laying recently? or has she had a little seasonal break yet.
The reason I ask is that I would be tempted to try and switch off her laying hormones by reducing light(keep her in a very dim room then stopping all light 4pm) and stopping layers pellets, switching to a very,very light diet of mixed corn only (no vits or poultry spice but ACV and garlic in water) This is just my opinion though.

raeburg

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 14:12 »
My girl never laid again after the procedure but had a nice pootling life in the garden with 2 silkies :) 

Hawkins

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 21:02 »
I took her off layers straight away and she has been eating mixed corn and all sorts since to try and keep her weight up. The diarehetic is obviously working because there is poo everywhere. S I m keeping an eye on her fluids making sure she is drinking lots but she is off her food a bit today.

Never mind she has guts ans is trying very hard this little girl doesnt want to give up just yet. Sometimes I think she is playing with her corn and just sorting through to see which bits she likes best.

Vet said she is definately not in pain and if u could see the killer look she is giving the kitten you would agree.

Hawkins

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 18:17 »
Hey guys just a quick update and after a bit of help.

Chicken is still with us in fact shes trying to type on the keyboard as I type. Shes doing well but she gets bored very easily when im trying to feed her different things to keep her strength up.

What foods can I try her with.Any suggestions would be great.

She is eating mixed corn, beans, spaghetti, live mealworms, dried mealworms, rice, yellow bit of egg, few bits of gape and sweetcorn. Anything else you think I can try.

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 21:53 »
mine love porridge made with water and served warm

hope she recovers soon

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 10:21 »
Fish! Mine love it ... a bit of white fish flaked into their food ... lots of nutrition in there :)
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 39 queries.