weekend sowing

• 8 Replies

roller

weekend sowing
« on: March 20, 2007, 23:34 »
What can I sow directly into the ground this weekend?? i've a load of seed ,leeks ,onion sets,onion seed,sprouts,broad beans,parsnips etc etc...

muntjac

weekend sowing
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 23:41 »
nothing and im saying this  because its gonna be wet all week on the plot and then its gonna need a couple days drying it out id wait till mid week nex week at the minimum .and then i will be sowing stuff as well if the weather suits. remember the old tip if the soil sticks to ya boots stay off it
still alive /............

roller

weekend sowing
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 23:44 »
so that also means no rotovating?

muntjac

weekend sowing
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 23:47 »
yups the wet mud will stick to the tines and just clag up everything mate .  when he soil is dryer you can rotavate and sow the next day after raking it all level .dont walk on the rotavted soil that your going to sow on specially if its for ya roots .with the soil being looser they will get down well

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
weekend sowing
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 08:00 »
I'd agree with Munty, (we have to on here otherwise he'd unleash the hounds). I was going well digging Mr's Digger's plot, but have put everything on hold until next week, firstly because of the cold, now rain is forecast Thursday & Friday!

I've you really want to do something, how about starting your leek & onion seed in seed trays, this is how I do it, from a previous post.....

Quote from: "Digger Dave"

Now this might seem a bit painstaking, but I find it well worth the effort......

As I use cat litter trays, as they are nice & deep,be sure to make holes in the bottom though - a hot skewer will do the job. I use compost from grow bags, as it seems one of the cheaper ways to buy it.

You could also start you sprouts off. I put one seed per plant plug seed tray insert, and then pot on into 3" pots when large enough.

Now here's the painstaking bit, I plant the seed individually 1" apart 1/2 deep. That way they don't crowd each other out. I get nearly 100% germination in the green house. One of these trays will produce 96 plants. Compost has to be kept moist. When a reasonable size they can be moved outside to grow on. I then transplant when they are the thickness of a pencil.

It's something I read somewhere, I didn't make it up my self, but when they go in they are real sturdy plants with no previous thiniing or transplanting needed

You could also start your sprouts off, I use seed tray inserts, such as the one here, (illustration purposes only!)..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Plant-Cell-20-Cell-Seed-Tray-Insert-case-pack-of-10_W0QQitemZ180096851389QQcategoryZ20515QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

One seed to a cell, 20 seeds to a half seed tray, obviously 40 to a full one. Place in UNHEATED greenhouse, cold frame or similar - don't want them to get drawn. Keep moist. I get near to 100% germination. When the plant is large enough - say 2" high - re-pot into 3" pots, grow on & plant out.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

roller

weekend sowing
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 17:24 »
thanks digger, i'll get planting seeds then.. :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
weekend sowing
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 17:34 »
Quote from: "roller"
thanks digger, i'll get planting seeds then.. :D

You're welcome. I've got itchy fingers as well, but until the weather & soil is right I've got to find them something else to do!

shaun

weekend sowing
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 22:04 »
weather permitting the onion sets are going in this weekend and the howard will be comming out of hibernation,i know norman the fergy man has been down there and roughed it up with his plough.
also the clocks change this weekend  :wink:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

muntjac

weekend sowing
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 22:50 »
its not me u gotta worry about dave  :lol: im only the playground monitor ... aunt sally the head mistress is the one to be careful of . hse has a wooden ruler lolo

xx
Is this going to be a big weekend

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 17:37
by Irene
xx
Going out this weekend

Started by Christian on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post January 28, 2007, 18:45
by muntjac
xx
Something for the weekend....................

Started by Alex 98 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 04, 2008, 23:12
by Trillium
xx
Is this going to be big weekend?

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 08, 2010, 17:04
by BostonInbred

Page created in 0.381 seconds with 39 queries.