Panic - going on holiday early tomorrow - just found rat hole in run!

• 9 Replies

MellowYellow

Hi everyone.

I'm going away early hours of tomorrow morning and have just discovered a rat hole in the chicken run.  I have a combination run and coop with a ladder in the run up to the coop.

My main concern is that the rats will run up into the coop and harm the chickens while we're away.  I have someone coming in every day to feed/check the girls and will obviously try to fully rat proof their accomodation when we return but I just don't have the time right now.

Will a rat attack a chicken???????  Or will my girls be able to fend the rat or maybe rats off till our return in a week??????

OMG if only this had happened a couple of days ago I would have had the time to sort things properly.

I back onto open farmland so rats are inevitable, I just thought we had managed to rat proof the run.  When we get back I will dig the wire in deeper so the rats can't get under.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you.
What is it about my kitchen that is so more appealing to the chickens than the back garden!!!   ;-)

chloe

• Experienced Member
If they're large fowl they will be fine, my girls chase the rats that we used to have :)
If you have bantams they should be fine, mine were but because they are smaller they have a bigger chance of being attacked but i really doubt they will. :)

MellowYellow

Thanks Chloe  :)

They are just over 14 weeks old Hybrids. 

So hopefully they will be OK.

The coop does have a sliding door that can be shut but was hoping to be able to leave it open while we are away so that the girls won't be locked up in the coop for too long as  I didn't want my mum (she's chicken sitting) to have to come round really early every morning to open the coop and then again at night when they've gone to bed!

Oh such a dilema!!!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Where is the rat hole?  A quick fix might be to scrunch up some chicken wire and shove it in the hole.  I've heard of those wire pot scrubbers being used to plug rat holes as wire is obviously so much harder for them to chew through than wood.

Whatever you do, have a lovely holiday and try not to fret about your chickens while you are away (although I know we all do. ;))

MellowYellow

Thanks Lindeggs.   :)
The hole is at the back of the run, but I'm sure that as soon as I block that one they will just dig another. 

I do try to keep my garden rat free but as I mentioned before, I back onto farmland and unfortunately, rats don't understand boundaries!!    :dry:   :dry:

I've stopped feeding the birds, I've even stopped making my own compost (rats love compost bins) but I know I'm fighting a losing battle  ::)

We did keep chickens about 6 years ago and ended up giving them to a friend who was also a chicken keeper as I was convinced they were the reason for my rat problem.  Obviously the rats still visited us from the field and my whole family really regretted giving the chickens away.  We now realise that we will get rats with or without our chickens so are willing to do anything we can to keep our girls as long as the rats aren't a threat to them :)

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!    I sure can ramble on ;)   ;)

Dominic

More of a problem for chicks than chickens.
Cant you just collapse the hole?
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
also get baiting some traps!

Attack is the best form of defence  ::)
I hate signatures but love irony

MellowYellow

More of a problem for chicks than chickens.
Cant you just collapse the hole?

Hi Dominic.

I will fill the hole in but my main concern is that now they know about the chicken run, they will just dig another and another and another...........................until I get back from holiday next week.

Luckily, I think my girls are big enough now to take on the average field rat.   ;)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 16:08 by MellowYellow »

MellowYellow

also get baiting some traps!

Attack is the best form of defence  ::)

Hi Lewjam.

I will be trapping and maybe getting some chicken friendly rat poison when I get back next weekend as well as sinking the chicken wire lower.  It's just unfortunate that the rat hole appeared for the first time this morning and time isn't on my side today :(

Numptyone

Mell
we had Rats in loft ( from next door ) l had got traps and bait but no joy l got the phone number of a local pest control person ,the poison you buy from the local shop are to diluted ,to kill the rats you have to sign for the strong stuff he charged us £30 for baits and 3 visits to check for further activity if you think you may have more than one or a family  you may ask your local dog rat packs (countrymans weekly )  is point of contact they will get rid of the whole family
Hope this helps

xx
holiday tomorrow woo hoo

Started by babe on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 31, 2008, 22:36
by blulagoo
xx
Panic over!

Started by kimT on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 24, 2008, 18:32
by kimT
xx
PANIC STATIONS!!!!!!!

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post September 18, 2007, 20:59
by GrannieAnnie
xx
My first real panic

Started by Carolf on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 09:55
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 36 queries.