red mite more help please

• 4 Replies

jackieand glenn

red mite more help please
« on: August 16, 2011, 11:53 »
hi all, yuck yuck yuck, we went with the torch to look how bad the red mite in coop was. we saw a few but nothing like there was. but can  the little * jump as i only looked in door but up all night with them crawling over me. i bathed washed my hair, changed but still i saw some crawling on my arms. just ordered some DE to make as a paste and try that, thanks for all who recommened it. think felt has to come off house and tinned. is there anything else we have forgotten please. read they dont live on us or dogs, could you comfirm that please as im so itching and got more on me when cleaning out this morning. eggs are still not coming and pale coombs. how long  could it be before it gets back to normal please.

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
Re: red mite more help please
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 12:13 »
They do bite but cant actually live off people but its best to wash off well any way!

I also use a product called poultry shield to get rid of them.

Liquid concentrte i apply with a mister to the whole coop.  Gets into any cracks and deals with them quite well so far.

lew
I hate signatures but love irony

Bogof

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 22:44 »
Small blow torch every morning in all the little cracks and knots in the wood worked for me and the DE past. makes you feel good as well. Revenge is sweet.
Buy One Get One Free.

daisy1990

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 06:35 »
taking off the felt is vital, they can survive in folds in the felt for weeks on end and come back with a vengeance.  They wont live on you but do make you itchy (and  the thought of them makes you itchy too!)
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

JACDORE

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 16:04 »
im just the same.  They seem to prefer jumping and crawling on me for hours than they do the hubby.  We use poultry shield and when its bad do it every 3-4 days as you need to break the cycyle of the eggs.  It kills the mites but not the eggs so you have to kill the mites before they lay there many eggs.  We also use a pressurised hand container to spray the house with (must be done away from the usual area) as spraying with a plant sprayer thingy, you'll be there ALLLLLL day and when you then think "thats enough" it never is.  We also use a steam generator on the house (we use our standard house machine).  Good luck, there a nightmare!!!!
2 rottys 4 cats, 2 gecko's, 2 beardies, 2 hamsters, 1 guinea pig, 1 rabbit, 12 various fish, 6 hens, 1 hubby, (lol)

xx
Ulti-mite red mite treatment

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284
xx
Red Mite v Red Spider Mite

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 20:03
by Miss Bean
xx
Is red mite the same as red spider mite?

Started by Carla on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 14:47
by Carla
xx
Red mite

Started by Madrat on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 11:47
by alisonwo

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 38 queries.