mites in coop ?

• 8 Replies

Tricky

mites in coop ?
« on: June 30, 2016, 19:50 »
there are hundreds of 1mm white/light brown mites in the coop, anyone know how to get rid of them?
for the last three weeks ive been spraying the coop with poultry/animal safe disinfectant but the mites are still there!

Sassy

Re: mites in coop ?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 09:25 »
Is it possible to post a picture of them? Are they changing colour? Are the hens reluctant to go in at night? Are the mites hiding in nooks and crannies? If you crush them are they red/blooming? Does not allow word I want - blooming as in like a smear of blood  :D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 09:26 by Sassy »
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

snow white

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 09:42 »
They need more than disinfectant.  They need proper mite killer.  There are several brands you can buy in the shops or online.  Good luck.

Tricky

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 17:32 »
Sassy:
they seem to change colour as they grow, white-ish to light brown. hens dont seem to be affected at all. dont really want to crush them for a test, as when i get close they end up on me and i dont want to bring them in to the house.

snow white:
any recommendations on specific mite killer?

snow white

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 13:10 »
I use poultry shield purely because that is what I was able to get locally.  It cleared it up for me.  I also use johnsons mite spray afterwards as this offers long term protection.

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 13:46 »
If they are red mite that would, possibly,  explain the colour change. If so agree Snow White re treatment. Need to get into all the nooks and crannies though. :)

Chickencoo

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 11:27 »
I had an attack of the dreaded red mites, spent about 2 weeks going in on a night and crushing, then leaving clothes to go in washer and showering and they make my skin crawl, after using various treatments this did subside but the treatments I went on with for another 3 weeks which were a combination of hot water and soapy bubbles sprayed around all the areas of the hen house including the ceiling and because the weather was hot it dried quickly (the soap in my mind was they have a waxy scaly back and that is what you need to break down to kill them, so no idea whether it helped kill them or just in my mind..) and then doused with red mite sprays and bought some grey dusting powder online, which for the life of me I cannot recall what it was called, something like diatrom I think and spread that on the floor and into the corners and just kept repeating, maybe for about 5-6 weeks in total - its either put the effort in or buy a new coop

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 14:01 »
The diatom helps to break down and dry out the mites but will generally not work to eradicate them in its own, hence the need for sprays. Diatom is good to use in the coop as a preventative.  :)

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 14:37 »
Dismantled our coup a few weeks ago and gave it a good soak and clean. I use a product by Nettex from our bedding supplier, they don't do poultry shield but it still does the job , forget how much it cost.     Have tried disinfectant in the past didn't work.   Pesky little critters , aren't  they!!
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

xx
Anyone tried predatory mites to control red mites?

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2014, 15:36
by grinling
xx
mites

Started by samuria on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 03, 2014, 10:50
by Sassy
xx
red mites

Started by MontyTom on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 05, 2007, 22:34
by muntjac
xx
Leg Mites

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 08:03
by Jo57

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 35 queries.