Poorly chicken - any ideas?

• 8 Replies

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
Poorly chicken - any ideas?
« on: February 16, 2013, 16:47 »
I got a couple of ex batts 3 weeks ago.  Polly had the least feathers but was the most confident until a week ago when she became withdrawn.  I took her to the vets and she couldnt find anything wrong with her but gave her antibiotics and ivermectin.   There wasnt any change in her behaviour.
She drinks loads and wees alot.  Shes still eating but fluffs up alot and sleeps.  Her poos are mushy green.  I did see her having a dust bath today in the sun.
She dosnt have a temperature.  Her comb has gone pale and floppy.  Someone told me to give her 75mg of aspirin if her comb started to go blue.  I did this on Tuesday.
I have given her nutridrops a couple of times this week and live yogurt.
I thought her kidneys were packing up because of the excessive drinking but shes still pottering on a week later.
Any ideas?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Poorly chicken - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 18:09 »
Chickens shouldn't wee, it is in with their poos (urates) the white parts.  Check out the link for information on healthy and not poos.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 20:42 »
Ahhhh,  if they dont wee then this liquid that is coming out of my chicken is clear-ish poo?  That dosnt sound right :-(  None of the pictures show the green sludge that is coming out of her :-( 
I did read somewhere that if their poo has a green tinge to it then it means that theres a problem with their organs.
She is eating - but what is coming out of her and the amount she is drinking and her withdrawn/ fluffed upness is not normal.  But then she is still preening and taking abit of interest in her surroundings sometimes....
I have kept chickens for over 4 years and have never come across this in any of my girls.  If they've got ill, they've become ill quite quickly and I've sort help and they've got better or died.
Its a mystery....

grinling

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 13:08 »
Is she having problems with the food you are giving her, you can buy food especially for ex bats and then try mixing it with the food you give your other girls. She might not be used to eating greens either.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 15:13 »
Could the clear liquid be the white of a broken egg?

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 22:26 »
They will expell watery something-or-other apparently when they are hot to lose excess heat so I read.

Any of our hens that have had a floppy comb, dull eyes and no desire to interact with the other hens seem not to do very well.

We lost one recently who we think had never laid.
My thought on that (and it  is just my thoughts - if anyone know I'm correct I'll be so chuffed :D !) is that laying eggs perhaps gives the hen some healthy hormones - like pregnancy in humans causes some protective hormones that can help prevent certain diseases in humans.
No idea if this is right but it kinda makes sense! ???

She certainly didn't have any illness that could be passed on as the other girls seem pretty healthy.

helens-hens

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 16:45 »
I had a hen with droppings that were green & watery. She was drinking excessively, temporarily went off her layers pellets but otherwise appeared OK. The vet thought it could be a kidney infection & we tried ABs without success.

He then tried Oregostim, an oregano based supplement for their drinking water which is also sometimes used commercially and helps 'dry up' their droppings. She did then recover though sadly developed a tumour & was PTS a few months later.

I think worms can also be a cause of runny green droppings but I would doubt they would be carrying a worm burden if they have been kept indoors until only a couple of weeks ago.

You haven't posted for a couple of days - how is she doing now?
Helen

jhub

• jane
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 10:04 »
How is she?
Chickens can pass runny green poo if they're not eating (it's bile). Is her crop full at the end of the day?
Good luck

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 11:36 »
I've had this a few times with ex batts towards the end of their days...I'm sorry to say that they've nearly always to to be put down often with a diagnosis of peritonitus - although I do sometimes wonder if the vet says this even when he's not 100% sure.  If yr wee hen gets better - do let me know as I'd like to know if there's anything else I could be doing when they get to this stage.
Cat

xx
poorly chicken symptoms, any ideas?

Started by carsmarco252 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 22:11
by henamoured
question
My hen is poorly - any ideas?

Started by Chickenladies on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 08, 2010, 10:36
by french bob
xx
Poorly girl, any ideas?

Started by otis pony on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 20, 2011, 10:05
by otis pony
xx
poorly Chook - Any ideas Please

Started by duckling on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 22, 2009, 16:07
by karlooben

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 37 queries.