Greenhouse Glazing Advice

• 4 Replies

domw001

• Msg. To Mother Nature: Just Bring It!
Greenhouse Glazing Advice
« on: November 12, 2013, 14:21 »
I have a 10x8 greenhouse on my plot that took a bit of storm damage the other weekend and I lost about 8 panes.
Obviously I need to replace them but should I stick with glass or choose polycarbonate (or could I indeed use both).
Obviously the poly sheets should stand less wind breakages (the GH is a bit exposed), but on the other hand glass panes lend more weight to the overall construction.

Any suggestions?

thedadtony

• Experienced Member
Re: Greenhouse Glazing Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 16:53 »
Hi Dom, you could have lost the polycarbonate in that wind too in those gales, I'd use glass then apply  a bead of silicone to the glazing bar and the glass on the inside of the greenhouse once it's re- glazed.

domw001

• Msg. To Mother Nature: Just Bring It!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 10:48 »
a bead of silicone to the glazing bar and the glass on the inside of the greenhouse once it's re- glazed.

My father-in-law suggested that.

I have considered the possibility of losing Poly panels in high wind,  but I know there would be a chance of them still being intact (once I'd driven over to the next county to retrieve them).

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 12:00 »
I think the added weight and strength of glass should out-weigh the benefits of polycarbonate.

I assume that the latter just bends and eventually pops ou of the frame, so probably sticking is the answer. I certainly is awith a chum round here, but the guy who just put the polycarbonate in with nothing else, lost nearly the whole of his roof!

I'm relying on glass to help keep the greenhouse steady - and sturdy, and so far it has worked, although in 1987, we lost several panes...

anchorman

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 17:48 »
Hello Dom, glass will always be the best option but i have a little tip for what its worth. A few years ago high winds blew about 4 panes out of my greenhouse, not on the side facing the dynamic force of the wind but on the sheltered side. I soon fathomed the cause and the cure.

If the greenhouse is closed down, vents and doors shut, strong gusts passing over and around the structure will cause a sudden drop in air pressure outside relative to stable undisturbed air inside. This pressure difference is enough to cause what is effectively an explosion! I found the cure was to open the vent or door a bit when high winds are forecast. Not facing the wind tho' or gusts slamming into the inside of the greenhouse will have a similar effect so only create an opening downwind if possible just enough to allow the air pressure to equalise inside and out as the gusts roll by.

Of course any structure will be wrecked in extreem conditions but so far, i've not lost a single pane in about 6 years. Fortunately, the really high winds are usually associated with rainy weather rather than bitter cold so your plants shouldn't suffer too badly during a few hours of gales. I hope this tip is usefull.

xx
Glazing my Greenhouse

Started by ytyynycefn on Equipment Shed

20 Replies
Last post February 27, 2007, 18:56
by Gwiz
xx
Plastic for Greenhouse Glazing

Started by Dave f on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post April 10, 2010, 08:30
by Plottered
question
greenhouse glazing clips, i cant find any correct ones.

Started by gary43 on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post November 05, 2009, 21:50
by gary43
xx
Advice please on Greenhouse

Started by pol and mick on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 22:28
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 38 queries.