Big red heater from parasine

• 4 Replies

anchorman

Big red heater from parasine
« on: November 10, 2013, 19:50 »
There is a host of bad reviews about the Big Red Heater from Parasine, and a few good ones. I debated for some weeks wheather to buy one or not. I got the chance to grab a shop soiled ex display model for £40 so i went for it.

Now bearing in mind the disasters i had read about, i had to fly high with this beast as it had no instructions. But, applying safety and common sence, filled the tank and let the wick soak for a day. Holding the burner gallery up with a coil spring handle was a faff while i lit it; yes it smoked until the flame had picked up around the wick. I then carefully placed the burner gallery in place and when the inner coils and wires heated up yellow flames subsided until no flame, not even a blue flame could be seen so that indicated to me that the paraffin was vapourising and burning. Then, in small steps turned the wick control lower and lower until heat and glowing coils could be maintained.

This heater is a beast. It chucks out more than enough, probably too much heat for a small greenhouse but if you think carefully of how you are going to light it, control it good results should prevail. When you want to turn the heat off,  turn the wick right down. It will pop and flare a bit so lift off the burner gallery (very hot) and blow what bits of yellow flame out.

If you want a press and go heater this is not for you, but if you like old technology and a chance to develop a skill, go for it. Take great care with this Big Red Heater. It is not a candle ,more like the innards of a jet engine without the fans......VERY HOT!

Asherweef

Re: Big red heater from parasine
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 20:19 »
I don't know what to say...!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Big red heater from parasene
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 14:36 »
Thanks for the review and I'm glad your experience seems to have been positive so far. Long may it remain that way. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

muckshifter

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 09:10 »
I also have a big red,I found it gave plenty of  heat but was not at all economical costing nearly twice as much to run as did my 3KW thermostaticly controlled propane greenhouse heater.
When I contacted Parasene to  buy a spare part they told me that they can supply wicks but stock no other parts,just as well
I was able to fabricate a new gear from good quality metal in my own workshop.
As it is surplus to requirement I have twice put it on the swap shop free to any one who has made more than 10 posts on this forum.(collect only) Offer still open.

anchorman

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 17:17 »
I haven't used big red in anger yet but with bad weather forecast next week i will probably need to fire it up. Looking at the size of the wick i guess it will drink paraffin in similar quantities as i can real ale....lots.

I do have another problem tho' with my twin wick parasene superwarm 4.
I've had this heater for years and never had any trouble until this week. I gave it a good clean, blew all the debris out of the burner with compressed air and fitted new wicks. Filled it with fresh fuel let it soak for a day. After about an hour or so the flames slowly dwindle and out it goes.
In my other smaller 6x6 greenhouse where it lives, i thought it might be a lack of oxygen under the bench so i fitted 2 small louvre vents in the metal base 1 at each end of the greenhouse and propped the roof vent open a snick. That should provide ample ventilation in the coldest conditions. Tonight after about 2 hours the flame is slowly dimming. I wonder if this latest paraffin is duff. I buy mine from a local grower/gardening shop who sells it "loose" from a big tank. Never had this problem before. Anyone else had this issue? What is the cure?....

xx
Which Paraffin heater

Started by hubballi on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post January 08, 2012, 19:53
by AndyRVTR
xx
Can I use a paraffin heater?

Started by Shandy on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post February 26, 2013, 20:14
by HuwG
xx
greenhouse heater

Started by wozie on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post December 21, 2010, 10:26
by thecakebaker
xx
Parafin Heater

Started by Dabhand on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post February 14, 2007, 14:19
by beancounter

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 39 queries.