My new pots (I cannot wait any longer !!!!)

• 10 Replies

Gareth J

« on: May 23, 2008, 17:44 »
Hi all,
 I am new to gardening, like a lot of you I am desparately trying to get a plot. Apparantly I am "near the top of the list" so, fingers crossed.
At the moment I have commandeered half of the lawn! (after some serious negotiation with the summer swimming pool brigade AKA the kids). My new potatos look really good, and have flowers on which have started to open.   CAN I GET DIGGING??
I have never been lost...................
But I will admit to being confused for several weeks

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 17:46 »
Hi Gareth & welcome.

Best to just have a scratch around below the surface of the soil & see 'what lies beneath'!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Gareth J

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 17:58 »
Thanks DD, I am off to do some scratching when the rain eases. Call me stupid but, those green insecty things I've discovered on my broad beans should'nt be there should they? whats good for evicting them?????

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 18:03 »
Rain????

Greenfly??? - if so the organic way is to spray them with a washing up liquid solution.

Do they look something like this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/lookeast/content/images/2007/06/11/mike_trendell_250_250x300.jpg

Gareth J

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 18:12 »
Thats them DD, okay l guess greenfly sounds more proper than green insecty things. So just put a few drops of washing up liquid in a sprayer and fill with water and no greenfly! Can that be used for all nasties?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 18:36 »
I think I'd better let someone more experienced in the organic field answer that.  I don't use a lot, but do tend to use a commercial spray, but only when absolutely neccessary.

Having said that, I bought a 'BugClear' gun for the roses, based on Pyrethrins, extracted from members of the chrysanthemum family and it zapped them good. The greenfly that is, not the roses.

Gareth J

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 19:02 »
Whoops I knew I forgot something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have not even considered this organic Vs chemical thing. I have been so busy removing the builders rubble that had been "swept under the lawn" then building raised beds and planting anything and everything, I have not thought about it. At the risk of restarting what is probably an already well discussed subject, what are peoples thoughts?

gobs

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 19:12 »
The organic way, you don't much greenfly to worry about at all. That might sound smug, but after a few years, that's the case, you just don't have this problem. 8)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Gareth J

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 19:26 »
Thanks gobs, so is washing up liquid the way to go?

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 19:27 »
the organic way means that peeps leave the aphids to be eaten by hoverflies, wasps and bluetits rather than spraying crops with chemicals.  The organic veg grower feeds the soil as a good, fertile soil makes plants grow strongly so are less like to succumb to pest and disease

i think that about sums it up  :D

Gareth J

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 19:41 »
ok compostqueen (nice name by the way), after being left with clay that demi moore could make vases with I put a lot of rotted manure in my beds. will the hoverflys take up residence or is there anything I can do to encourage them? And now you mention it, A loverly pair of bluetits have been visiting lately

xx
Potatoes, I couldn't wait any longer!!!

Started by GrannieAnnie on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 09, 2007, 22:51
by richyrich7
xx
Can't fight it any longer!!!

Started by lmpd on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 18:42
by yorkiegal
xx
i wish i could dig for longer than 1 hour.

Started by twysted1 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 25, 2006, 19:02
by John
xx
100 days it cant last much longer

Started by rem858 on Grow Your Own

60 Replies
Last post August 02, 2010, 07:24
by Christine

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 39 queries.