Do you know anyone that has gotten the COVID jab yet?

• 115 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: Do you know anyone that has gotten the COVID jab yet?
« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2021, 08:36 »
Nobody seems to consider that such 'variants' might be an easier, less unpleasant virus. I'm just glad we haven't had flu this year, because that really does hurt! If they add a covid jab to the normal Autumn list, I'll be first in the queue (actually Mrs Growster will, but that's chivalry for you)!
I suppose the ideal would be a highly infectious virus that didn't make you ill but made you immune to the 'nasty' virus. I'm out of my depth but suspect that's impossible as the act of reproducing damages the host?

Bit of good news - here in Wales they expect every adult to have been offered a first jab within the next couple of weeks. Uptake levels are pretty good
https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/public.health.wales.health.protection/viz/RapidCOVID-19virology-Public/Headlinesummary  click on the vaccination tab for details
It's sobering that we may have everyone who will done (not just offered) in 6 weeks but that's 9 weeks for a decent level of protection and say 21 weeks for maximum after 2nd dose, which takes us into late October. Pushing the 2nd doses ahead earlier may be counter productive as it may slightly reduce efficacy - makes me glad I'm not in charge and trying to balance all these risk / benefits.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2021, 08:39 »
Unfortunately in Georgia we only have about 30% fully vaccinated  :dry:
That is disgraceful for a country like the USA with no vaccine supply problem.

30% isn't so bad, in the much trumpeted UK we only have 35% fully vaccinated and we have an older demographic than Georgia

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2021, 09:17 »
The older demographic are the people most likely to have been vaccinated, though, according to the data analysis, because the UK is prioritising those, and we haven't started vaccinating people under 30 yet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55274833

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #108 on: May 28, 2021, 11:07 »
30% isn't so bad, in the much trumpeted UK we only have 35% fully vaccinated and we have an older demographic than Georgia
As of yesterday we have 45.6% of the population of the UK fully vaccinated and 73.3% have had the prime vaccination. There is data showing that extending from 3 weeks to 12 weeks actually improved long term efficacy.
Source UK Gov: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/
coronavirus-data-explorer.png

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2021, 11:29 »
There is data showing that extending from 3 weeks to 12 weeks actually improved long term efficacy.

I have my 2nd one next week.  I could have pulled it forward but I was too busy this week to do that.  It is good to know that waiting between doses is actually better  :D

I go to my local football stadium and it is an amazing set-up.  You turn up for your time slot, they park you in batches around the car park and then you get sent to the entrance and moved through the whole process within 15 minutes or so.  There are hundreds of people streaming in and out of there and it is organised like a well planned military operation, but with a friendly welcome from all involved in marshalling you around  :)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2021, 11:31 »
Unfortunately in Georgia we only have about 30% fully vaccinated  :dry:
I think the real point here is that the USA has a total of 39.7% fully vaccinated but Georgia is way behind the US curve. Vermont has 53.59% done and is #1, Georgia is #47 Mississippi is #51 with just 26.91%

Growster...

« Reply #111 on: May 29, 2021, 09:15 »
Subvers, why not book a flight to Headcorn Aerodrome where we got our jabs, you'll fly over West Malling, where many of your compatriots used to work,then land safely on the grass, get a jab, then give me a call, and we can have a pint or three of fabulous 'Shepherd Neame Spitfire' ale before you have to go back!

Now that really would be a great visit!

Any more Kentish ladies and blokes OK for this?

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: May 30, 2021, 06:27 »
Subvers, why not book a flight to Headcorn Aerodrome where we got our jabs, you'll fly over West Malling, where many of your compatriots used to work,then land safely on the grass, get a jab, then give me a call, and we can have a pint or three of fabulous 'Shepherd Neame Spitfire' ale before you have to go back!

Now that really would be a great visit!

Any more Kentish ladies and blokes OK for this?

Brilliant idea!   . . . Except I'm already fully vaccinated   :lol:

Here is the real problem with Georgia's 30%. The USA, and all 50 states plus territories, has had an ample supply of vaccine for months now. We are even making vaccine available to 12-year olds and up in many states.

However, a sizeable part of the population has been convinced to believe the virus is a hoax, or not dangerous/responsible for 500,000+ deaths. Alternatively they have been convinced the vaccine is worse because Bill Gates will inject a microchip into you, or it will make you become autistic, or gay, or is a means to experiment on you (or fill in the blank with other nonsense). This is more prevalent in some of our southern, or western, or midwestern states (these false beliefs are less common in west coast, east coast, or large metropolitan areas).

When vaccine became widely available to states, the governor of Georgia initially decided to send most of the vaccine to rural areas (the regions that elected him; also places that strongly hold the above beliefs and don't want the vaccine). Less vaccine was made available in areas that did NOT vote for him, like Atlanta (forcing people that wanted the vaccine to travel an hour or two to a rural place where vaccine was available; that was me!!). 

Under pressure, the availability and distribution issues in Georgia have improved, but we are far behind other states, on average.

"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #113 on: May 30, 2021, 08:04 »
What we need is a cure for stupidity!
or
Get all the scandemic believers, anti-vaxxers and flat-earthers together. March them off the edge of the world!

Growster...

« Reply #114 on: May 30, 2021, 09:46 »
That sounds utterly scandalous, Subvers!

To allow politicians to do this is a disgrace to normal citizens who rely on public servants to do their work to the benefit of their community!

Luckily, we don't discuss politics on this website, and long may that continue, but if there was an 'open forum', I'd really get up on my hind legs about this!

(I do anyway on another very serious blog - and not as 'Growster', but never here because we're all ladies and gentlemen with a passion for gardening)!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #115 on: May 30, 2021, 13:39 »
Exactly, Mr G. 

Some people have never heard of “time and place” but think it’s okay to air their opinions whenever they want to.

xx
Have you had Covid

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

63 Replies
Last post July 24, 2022, 23:20
by John
xx
Covid-19 Scam

Started by Blewit on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post January 14, 2021, 14:31
by jezza
xx
Covid 19 in Australia ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post April 24, 2020, 12:38
by mrs bouquet
xx
New bugs but not Covid

Started by snowdrops on Chatting on the Plot

16 Replies
Last post October 06, 2022, 18:21
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 50 queries.