wood burning stove

• 4 Replies

darren64

wood burning stove
« on: December 10, 2011, 15:21 »
Do any of you have a wood burning stove in the house,how much are they,cast iron or steel?I'm thinking of getting a small one for the living room.

compostqueen

Re: wood burning stove
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 15:23 »
I should do a search on here as there's been much discussion on this subject  :)

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 17:48 »
You'll need to measure your room because the size of the burner will depend on how much heat you want it to put out.  Never go larger than you need, and too small is just as useless.

Also, you need a good clear space for one if its not being retrofit into an existing fireplace. Type will depend on what the shops have to offer and how deep your wallet is. Best to go round to a few shops that specialize in them and ask lots of questions. They know current regulations for installation and insurance as well as what will suit you best.

Optimistic Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 16:44 »
Hi Darren.  I have a log burning stove by Stovax.  It is 8kw but our lounge is pretty sizeable.  It cost around £1000 to buy, plus we had to pay for a ceramic chimney liner (a steel tube which is the normal option wouldn't fit our narrow chimney).  The liner cost another £900 or so.  Installation costs were iro £800.  You need to be sure that you have sufficient ventilation in the room as well and sometimes you have to have an air brick put in to meet current regs.

darren64

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 21:07 »
Hi Darren.  I have a log burning stove by Stovax.  It is 8kw but our lounge is pretty sizeable.  It cost around £1000 to buy, plus we had to pay for a ceramic chimney liner (a steel tube which is the normal option wouldn't fit our narrow chimney).  The liner cost another £900 or so.  Installation costs were iro £800.  You need to be sure that you have sufficient ventilation in the room as well and sometimes you have to have an air brick put in to meet current regs.
I have measured my room and I have also chosen an aga little wenlock classic se(which is in the Defra exempt appliances list)it doesn't need a vent,I enquired at the plumb centre about which flue liner to use and then ordered it,I have the next 2 weeks off work so I'm gonna prepare the fireplace the second  week when the kids and my wife are back at work. :blink:

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 38 queries.