Hadleigh Allotment Owner

• 3 Replies

MaryWheeler

Hadleigh Allotment Owner
« on: September 06, 2012, 17:20 »
Hi

Just acquired my allotment plot along the a13 in Hadleigh. Was wondering if I could get advice for getting started, it's a bit overgrown. It has been covered in weed killer so now just looks like a patch of hay, dry grass. Do I just pull this up to discover soil and then plant away? Will the council clear the bags of garden waste?

Advice and comments welcome

Mary

allotmentann

Re: Hadleigh Allotment Owner
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 17:37 »
Hi Mary and welcome. There is lots of advice about plot clearing and getting started on  the site and on various threads if you do a quick search. Unfortunately,you usually have to clear the waste yourself. Our site has a skip a couple of times a year and if you are lucky you might just get a bit of rubbish in before it is full, but generally if it can't be recycled, composted or burnt it is a trip to the tip. Hope that you have lots of fun with your new allotment. It is a nice time to take one on as you can get it all prepped and planned ready for the new year :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 18:55 »
Welcome to the site Mary  :D

I'm going to move this over to the Grow Your Own board where the veggie people hang out  :)

It will help us to remember where you are if you could edit your forum profile to add your general location - just click your username to start to edit.

On your question about clearing the plot, if you click the Grow Your Own link just underneath the main banner, you'll get to the main website and there's an article on there about clearing a plot.  Good luck and don't forget to take photos before you start - there will always be a moment when you think you've made no progress, and the photos prove that your thought is wrong!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

m1ckz

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 07:28 »
hi mary an wellcome,best way is burn your rubbish if your allowed to,im in southminster essex,not that far from you,our site is council run,we have a lge trailer left there for rubbish. once its full its removed an replaced which is a great help,we also have  mowers rotovators an strimmers we can use ,we pay 1 pound extra on our site fee for this,a year that is lol,,,well gl an good growing    mick

xx
My first year as an allotment owner

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 06, 2018, 13:15
by New shoot
xx
New allotment owner needing help

Started by brooks184 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 21:22
by matty42
xx
Reasonably new allotment owner with large plot

Started by Aserota on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 21:59
by Schubunny
xx
Growing Blueberries - First time allotment owner

Started by Alex_St_Albans on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 08, 2016, 00:45
by Trikidiki

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 38 queries.