Growing Blueberries - First time allotment owner

• 1 Replies

Alex_St_Albans

Growing Blueberries - First time allotment owner
« on: April 07, 2016, 23:39 »
Hello everyone,

I just got my first allotment... never grown anything before but very keen on eating lots of fresh organic fruit and veg.

I plan to grow some blueberries as one of my first projects and I just want to make sure I'm doing things right. So any help will be appreciated!

I plan to install a 1.25m x 2m raised bed. I've heard it can be beneficial to have different varieties of blueberries growing together. So I was planning on getting this deal (seen advertised on this site) http://www.dobies.co.uk/Garden/Fruit/Soft+Fruit/Blueberries/Blueberry+Plant+-+Ultimate+Collection_247940.htm

Will that size of raised bed be good for 3 plants, or can I put more in?

Trikidiki

Re: Growing Blueberries - First time allotment owner
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 00:45 »
Your bed size sounds fine, Bob Flowerdew says he grows three blueberry bushes in an old bath which would be smaller than your bed. I have two beds of four plants, each bed 2400mm x 600mm with soil paths down both sides so the roots have more space than the bed size suggests.

I'm sure you're aware that blueberries require an acidic soil, it may be worth you doing a pH test. You may need to add ericaceous compost or at worst sulphur chips to lower the pH. My base soil is pretty much neutral so I mulch my blueberries with composted pine needles to lower the pH slightly. You should water with rainwater to avoid the calcium in tap-water.

They also like a moist soil so mulching can help retain the moisture in the soil.

As you say it appears to be beneficial to have several varieties, although they are self fertile it is noted that cross pollination produces more, larger and sweeter berries.

I don't have any experience of the varieties in your offer but have been tempted to try the Pink Lemonade one for fun.

xx
Hadleigh Allotment Owner

Started by MaryWheeler on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 09, 2012, 07:28
by m1ckz
xx
New allotment owner needing help

Started by brooks184 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 21:22
by matty42
xx
My first year as an allotment owner

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 06, 2018, 13:15
by New shoot
xx
growing blueberries

Started by Mahogony on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 14:13
by Mahogony

Page created in 0.415 seconds with 39 queries.