Wall Mounted Dispatcher

• 10 Replies

kegs

Wall Mounted Dispatcher
« on: August 03, 2011, 11:35 »
Just a quick query.  I've bought a wall mounted dispatcher and wonder if someone can advise me on how far the screw and bolt should be adjusted for an average size table chicken.
Thank you.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Wall Mounted Dispatcher
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 13:02 »
I always keep mine almost closed, to make sure it doesn't just injure the bird.  I was talking to a lady last week who said she doesn't like hers as the first time she used it, the poor chicken was still alive!

When she came up after with her husband to pick up some POL's Brian showed our wall dispatcher to her husband and he said oh no wonder, ours has a large gap in the middle!   :(

kegs

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 13:50 »
Thanks Ann.  It's what we thought but I wanted to make sure that when the time comes we (well my husband!) get it right first time.  So, just to confirm would you recommend half a centimeter gap or is that too small?
Thanks.
Kerry

Spana

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 21:17 »
We use one  here and OH has it down to a fine art now but he says its very much trial and error until you've had a bit of experience  using it.

The best he can say is that you need the space just two thicknesses of skin.  So much smaller than you think you need at first.

He can do big Muscovy and Appleyard drakes and tiny call ducks and bants without leaving a mark on them but hes had a fair bit of experience using it as we've had it for 10years now.

So make the space small, be brave and dont dither.  None of us like doing it and the less fuss the better.

Good luck

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 22:07 »
I agree with Spana, if the gap is just about 2 skin thicknesses, then you will know that the neck really has broken!

Please remember, the chickens will flap around and look as if they are still alive!  It is very nerve racking as you think they are still alive.

I still hate it, and only do it myself when I have to!

RichardA

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 20:22 »
sorry to jump in but thanks for this posting.    I have to despatch a very old duck shortly. She is finding walking about quite a slow and perhaps painful chore so gets left behind when the other ducks move and that distresses her. Not looking forward to doing what is necessary but at least I know I have seen some experienced advice just now.
R

kegs

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 20:58 »
Pleased my inexperience can be of use!  ::) :lol:

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 21:14 »
Richard, Brian said broomhandle method is best for duck if you haven't got a dispatcher!

RichardA

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 15:11 »
Thanks Grannieannie, I will get a despatcher I think in any case as we will have to face more despatching as old age is catching up with our other ducks in turn. We only have 6 and only for a few eggs whilst using up scrap veg and using part of orchard with their run and pond etc. They have got spoilt and become pets but this particular one is finding getting around a bit difficult now.
We have two vets in the family but it is still coming down to me to sort this as they are not local now.
I am also looking for around three to four POL good egg ducks such as campbells, aylesburys or cherry valleys if you hear of anyone with any for sale please.
R

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 08:16 »
Thanks Grannieannie, I will get a despatcher I think in any case as we will have to face more despatching as old age is catching up with our other ducks in turn. We only have 6 and only for a few eggs whilst using up scrap veg and using part of orchard with their run and pond etc. They have got spoilt and become pets but this particular one is finding getting around a bit difficult now.
We have two vets in the family but it is still coming down to me to sort this as they are not local now.
I am also looking for around three to four POL good egg ducks such as campbells, aylesburys or cherry valleys if you hear of anyone with any for sale please.
R

I'm reasonably sure that Aylesburys and Cherry Valley ducks are meat ducks. Can recommend the Khakis for laying though!
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

RichardA

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 10:39 »
we have all three breeds and they all lay about 2 eggs each in 3 days, (4 to 5 a week each say) the campbells lay a little longer in the season but the aylesburys are a much larger egg.
By choice campbells would be what we want but or flock came to us originally under slightly odd and mixed up circumstances.
If anyone knows of a good supplier of POL ducks I would be pleased to hear about it, we need three.
R

xx
Where to buy a reasonably priced wall mounted dispatcher?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 04, 2013, 16:26
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Wall mounted dispatchers ?

Started by asd1 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2011, 21:55
by freckledbeck
xx
Chicken dispatcher in Dorset

Started by hhens on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 16, 2011, 17:22
by Nails
xx
side mounted nest/egg laying box (now with photo on page 2)

Started by new_2_veg on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post April 26, 2008, 21:46
by new_2_veg

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 38 queries.