Longevity of patio roses

• 5 Replies

tallulah

Longevity of patio roses
« on: January 24, 2013, 11:13 »
I seem to have collected a good number of patio roses over the years.  Some are in pots, some are planted.  They have a shortish flowering season, tho sometimes can be persuaded into a second bloom, but by mid summer, they've virtually all lost all their leaves, and I'm looking at stalks.  They tend to grow back OK the following year, only to go through the same process.  So I'm wondering if I can actually enhance their performance, in which case I'll keep them, as the blooms are lovely, or whether I should just free the space up.  Any thoughts and advice welcome.

snowdrops

Re: Longevity of patio roses
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 11:20 »
Do they lose their leaves because of black spot? If so therein lies the problem & how to counteract it.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 11:33 »
I wonder sometimes if they're just not cut out for longevity as I've found the same.  You'd think they'd last longer out in the garden but they seem to lack vigour

So, I've taken to potting up normal roses into John Innes compost (No2 or 3) and top dressing with grit or gravel  :)

tallulah

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 13:21 »
There's been signs of black spot, but I've immediately treated it.  I've not had a great deal of success with  potted normal roses.  I never get them back to the 'showroom' state!

Agatha

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 13:43 »
Do they get fed regularly?  I topdress mine with fresh compost & also feed regularly through the growing season as they are very greedy feeders. 
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

tallulah

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 22:37 »
Do they get fed regularly?  I topdress mine with fresh compost & also feed regularly through the growing season as they are very greedy feeders. 

Yes, all that.  I just think they are weak specimens, ultimately.  Brought on artificially for the retail shelf, which exhausts the plant.

xx
In a patio pickle

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 13, 2022, 12:10
by jezza
xx
Patio rose

Started by londongardener on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post September 19, 2020, 09:19
by Growing Weather
xx
Patio Fruit Trees

Started by Sleepingpopman on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post April 20, 2018, 14:23
by grinling
xx
Bamboo for patio screening

Started by Jeebus on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post May 31, 2019, 12:18
by Jeebus

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 38 queries.