Face Shields

• 19 Replies

mrs bouquet

Face Shields
« on: October 02, 2020, 15:05 »
Can anybody recommend one.   I do have to wear both glasses and hearing aids.   Thanks,   Mrs Bouqet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

Re: Face Shields
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 12:03 »
Having needed to go to a christening and not wanting to wear one of my OH's shooting masks that reminds me of a certain scary Dr Who episode, he got one of the ordinary blue and white ones you see all the time and it was fine. My glasses didn't steam up, the ear elastic was big enough for me to twist into a figure of eight to make it a bit smaller for me and didn't interfere with my ears and, most importantly, I could breathe through it!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 12:43 »
If there is a risk of losing your hearing aids when removing the face covering, you could perhaps try one which ties behind your head.  The requirement is for any kind of face covering, not necessarily a mask.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 15:10 »
I’ve just come back from Aldi & they have the clear plastic visor in for £1.99, months get that be an option for you it’s on a band to go round the back of your head like a head band?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 15:13 »
I’ve just come back from Aldi & they have the clear plastic visor in for £1.99, months get that be an option for you it’s on a band to go round the back of your head like a head band?
Thanks for your replies, but I am enquiring about a face shield not a mask.  Mrs B

Thank you snowdops, thats exactly what I need, I shall go to ours on Monday,  regards,   Mrs B

Mr Dog

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 17:04 »
My stepson is autistic and can't bear wearing a mask. We got some face shields that he can wear (and us when we're with him) from the well known auction site. We did buy a pack of 10 as his nan and a couple of others we know wanted them too. Cost worked out about £1.30 each - smaller quantities were more expensive. I could pm you a link when I get home from work later.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 17:33 »
Thanks for your replies, but I am enquiring about a face shield not a mask.  Mrs B

Ah, sorry, my misunderstanding.  :unsure:

wighty

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2020, 19:04 »
I can't take the nose/mouth mask, makes me panic.  According to my Dr. I'm COPD.  I had a bronchial infection two years in a row and he put me on their 'programme'.   I got one of those face shields from our local cheap store for £1.99.  It's comfortable and causes me no problems. I wipe it over inside and out once each day with a Dettol wipe.

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 19:22 »
I actually wish I’d bought one now as I’m not getting n so well with the masks, the disposable ones make my skin on my ears sore as I have a latex allergy (elastic) I’d have found it useful when it’s my turn to be on duty at the garden club store tomorrow, I might pop up after & get a couple.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 21:43 by snowdrops »

Mr Dog

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 20:59 »
One thing to remember is that face shields aren't as effective at stopping exhaled droplets getting into the surroundings as masks (nor them getting inside you) so if you can wear a mask that is the best option. I did read that the Scottish Government were considering not recognising face shields as an acceptable face covering but aren't sure whether or not that was pursued.

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2020, 06:02 »
As Mr Dog says, face shields are no replacement for masks.  Better than nothing but not as good as keeping 6 feet apart.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/22/face-shields-ineffective-trapping-aerosols-japanese-supercomputer-coronavirus

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2020, 09:11 »
Mr Dog: One thing to remember is that face shields aren't as effective at stopping exhaled droplets getting into the surroundings as masks (nor them getting inside you) so if you can wear a mask that is the best option. I
When I was in A&E a few weeks ago some of the staff were wearing shields and then putting on masks, as well, in high risk situations..

basketcase

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2020, 11:15 »
One thing to remember is that face shields aren't as effective at stopping exhaled droplets getting into the surroundings as masks (nor them getting inside you) so if you can wear a mask that is the best option. I did read that the Scottish Government were considering not recognising face shields as an acceptable face covering but aren't sure whether or not that was pursued.

Hi
Current ScotGov position on face coverings/shields can be found here:  https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-phase-3-staying-safe-and-protecting-others/pages/face-coverings/

In case that doesn't work, or you don't like following links from people you don't know, the most relevant bit is:

What is a face covering?
A face covering can be a covering of any type, except a face shield, that covers the mouth and nose. It is recommended that it be made of cloth or other textiles and should be two, and preferably three layers thick, and through which you can breathe. Religious face coverings that cover the mouth and the nose count as face coverings for these purposes. Transparent face coverings which assist communication for those who rely on lip reading and facial expressions can also be worn.

Face shields may be used, but only if they are worn in addition to a face covering underneath, as the evidence shows that they do not provide adequate protection.

If you are unable to wear a face covering, a face visor or face shield can be worn as it does provide a limited level of protection.

There's a lot more, including examples of thing that aren't masks, warnings that they're not a substitute for everything else (and what 'everything else' is!), how to reuse/dispose of them and a video demo of how to construct a face masks which looks interesting, simple and quick to do.  But this is probably more than enough!
HTH

snowdrops

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2020, 11:24 »
Mr Dog: One thing to remember is that face shields aren't as effective at stopping exhaled droplets getting into the surroundings as masks (nor them getting inside you) so if you can wear a mask that is the best option. I
When I was in A&E a few weeks ago some of the staff were wearing shields and then putting on masks, as well, in high risk situations..

I hope you are well mum?

Goosegirl

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2020, 12:26 »
My OH has COPD and has an official badge that states he doesn't have to wear one, but as we're in total lockdown anyway it's not needed at the moment.

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 56 queries.