French beans climbing or dwarf?

• 4 Replies

jambop

French beans climbing or dwarf?
« on: July 01, 2020, 11:01 »
What are the opinions of the productivity of the two different habits? I have never grown climbing beans, other than runners, I have just stuck with dwarf varieties. But I have some coco bianco climbing beans that are producing an amazing show of vigor and a huge number of flowers. Do climbing french beans usually have a similar growth? I don't mind the extra bit of work making a frame if it is a worthwhile exercise.

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
Re: French beans climbing or dwarf?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 11:54 »
My experience, which is minimal I know, but the climbing french bean i have this year are not vigorous, not like runner bean anyway. Maybe it's the weather here in northern Europe, although I should say it seems to have been the perfect start to summer, plenty of good sun and enough rain for any garden. But I'd bet a pound to a penny, that where you are would get you good results, they can't generally be as iffy as my experience.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 12:05 »
I think climbing french beans are more productive, but if you want a succession of beans, dwarf french beans are great for an early season crop.   Climbing ones can take you through the summer and into the autumn.  There are also late cropping climbers like Lazy Housewife, that are useful to have around.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 12:16 »
I think climbing french beans are more productive, but if you want a succession of beans, dwarf french beans are great for an early season crop.   Climbing ones can take you through the summer and into the autumn.  There are also late cropping climbers like Lazy Housewife, that are useful to have around.
What she said!
Plus dwarf French bean Stanley can be sown as late as July for a later harvest, so good as a follow on planting in beds empty after earlier harvests :) https://www.dobies.co.uk/Garden/Vegetables/Vegetable-Seeds/All-Vegetable-Seeds/Dwarf-French-Bean-Stanley-Seeds_431065.htm

jambop

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 12:43 »
Think I will try them next year. we can get good weather right into late October early November so they could crop for a while. I have seen a lot of different varieties and also the flat type which we sometimes buy in wintertime.

xx
French Climbing Beans - Help!

Started by weathergirl on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2009, 08:05
by lisa80
xx
Climbing french beans.

Started by maxie on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 26, 2013, 13:45
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Climbing French Beans

Started by corndolly on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2007, 19:26
by corndolly
xx
Climbing french beans

Started by Robster on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post August 24, 2011, 13:30
by boldondig

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 44 queries.