Onion frustration

• 8 Replies

clairendaniel

Onion frustration
« on: July 28, 2013, 17:41 »
Hi!

We've had our plot for 3 years now (and still novices really  :)) and each year we seem to do absolutely rubbish when it comes to onions. We were initially burying them (we buy sets) and found that didn't work sooo we did the right thing this year and left their noses poking out as advised. Yay! we finally cracked it! But no

Each year they fail to get any bigger than maybe a pickling onion when our neighbours have practically tennis ball size! Just what are we doing wrong!? Hubby nearly fell off the chair laughing when I read out BBC gardeners world page saying they were easy to grow.

We've checked for pests and disease but they all seem absolutely fine and everything else around them grows fine but no matter what we do or where they are planted they get a huffy on and dont want to grow. Can you help please?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Onion frustration
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 17:44 »
Welcome to the forum  ;)

Do you feed them with anything?

clairendaniel

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 18:10 »
We prepped the ground back in the autumn with manure and dug it all in but haven't fed them with anything since...forgot to mention we did buy a large variety.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 18:10 »
I have had my plot for 4 years. The first year I just planted my onion sets and too pot luck, the second year the whole plot had had a thick layer of manure dug in and they were much better. Last year was a complete disaster for growing pretty much anything and theis year I scattered growmore around...................this year was the best ever year (I know the good weather will also have had an influence).
From now on as well as manuring which really improves the spoil structure I am going to feed with growmore form now on.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

grinling

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 18:14 »
spacing and watering and weeding. no shading over the area at all. If thick stemed use first or slice and freeze.

clairendaniel

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 18:18 »
Hmm think that may be the key then. Its just been sooooo frustrating. Just when we figured out we've been planting them wrong seems they needed feeding as well as some manure lol :D Doh! ::)

We have them spaced right out and weed free. And I can vouch for the no shade...the sunburn LOL!

JohnB47

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 18:35 »
I agree with earlier comments but would emphasise watering.

Onions can fool you by producing strong green growth which remains during long dry spells. So you think they don't need watering. Wrong! If they suffer a dry spell, even if it becomes wet again later, they will just sulk and remain small. This has been my experience.

Don't over water of course but don't let them go dry for any more than a week. I've been watering mine every three or four days in the recent prolonged dry spell (down here in Devon anyway).

clairendaniel

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 18:46 »
AHHHHH Cheers JohnB47! We're Devon too so yes I know what you mean! Yes they are looking nice and green but tiny!

Right so we'll step up the watering next year (dont think they will perk up this year) and feeds and we'll shall have no more stroppy onions!

snow white

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 19:22 »
No manure just dug soil over.
BFB 2weeks before planting. 
And again May time with a sprinkling of potash from my bonfire (wood ash to you and me)
Then watering once a week in dry weather with monthly liquid feed. 
My sets were brilliant but my seed started onions are like pickling onions still.  Go figure!

xx
Frustration!!

Started by Weston grower on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 03, 2013, 09:32
by Weston grower
xx
Rabbit Frustration

Started by NN2Blue on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 02, 2011, 17:43
by NN2Blue
xx
Broadbean frustration

Started by mumsflowerpot on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 19, 2008, 18:32
by Aunt Sally
xx
Puff progress & frustration

Started by Puff on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 06, 2007, 19:12
by spinny

Page created in 0.384 seconds with 36 queries.