Poorly chicken - help please.

• 2 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Poorly chicken - help please.
« on: May 26, 2012, 11:14 »
I have a poorly chicken.  She is sitting down and not eating or drinking.  Earliest vet's appointment is monday.
I noticed she was drinking alot earlier in the week.  Do chickens get kidney problems?  (Do they have kidney's?).
Might it be a good idea to syringe some water into her mouth to make sure she doesn't dehydrate?  If so how much?

Why are chickens such a worry?

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Re: Poorly chicken - help please.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 16:16 »
I have seen a couple of milky poos which I understand could be kidney problems. She's perked up a bit, and has had the odd sip of water. 

How does the vet diagonose kidney problems?  Is there any treatment, apart from make sure they have access to water?

I can take her to the vet on monday, but I am going away tuesday to friday, don't like leaving this for the lady that looks after them.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Poorly chicken - help please.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 22:48 »
What breed of hen is she and how old?

You could try mixing some layers pellets with boiled water, allow it to cool before giving it to her.  This should help her fluid intake if she manages to eat some.  Sorry you have had no other suggestions yet but I think everyone has been out enjoying the nice weather.  Hope that things improve for your hen.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Poorly chicken

Started by alexroyall85 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 22, 2018, 08:54
by rowbow
xx
Poorly chicken

Started by tazzlangridge on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 07:17
by joyfull
xx
Poorly Chicken ????

Started by stanlmic on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 21:42
by jhub
xx
poorly chicken

Started by lynsnow on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 08, 2012, 22:55
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 38 queries.