New to Flower Garden

• 6 Replies

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
New to Flower Garden
« on: October 02, 2009, 19:55 »
Hello,
Finally, I have transformed my backyard into a small area where I can grow flowers. I went to the Malvern Autumn show and brought back loads of perennials. Lychnis, Leucanthemum, Achillea etc, etc. Plus bulbs, snowdrops, daffs, allium etc, etc. Next year, perennials leave in. But, what do I do with the the bulbs? Leave them in or dig up after flowering and replant next autumn?
Any help/advice much appreciated.
Thanks. 

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
Re: New to Flower Garden
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 20:08 »
It depends on the bulbs, some are frost hardy, some not. Snow drops and daffs you just leave, don't know about alliums :)

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 20:24 »
Thanks.
The planting instructions for Allium states "Plant August to December". Does that mean they are "hardy"?

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 20:53 »
Yes, if you are planting now for flowers next year they must be :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 23:18 »
A covering of compost or mulch of some sort will help protect bulbs that tend to be a bit of the softer side. Worst problem for most bulbs is soil water-logging I think so it depends on your site and the weather conditions over winter as well as the type of bulb.

Some bulbs do better planted on top of a few centimetres of grit to aid drainage.... again this depends on the site conditions.

The "Garden Expert" series publishes a relatively cheap glossy-cover paper-back that has some good advice.... our copy is fairly muddy round the edges which goes to prove it has actually been used lots rather than sitting looking pretty (and useless) on the shelf!!

My OH does the pretties - I stick to the plot (not literally)  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 23:36 »
I planted some alliums last autumn and they flowered this year, after that horrid winter, so yes they are fully hardy :)... but agree that waterlogged soil would be a problem :(
Good luck with the garden :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 17:25 »
Depending on your soil and its drainage, leave the daffs etc in, but it is wise to put a layer of grit underneath as Learner says. I believe that things like gladioli and dahlias need to be lifted and stored over winter but some people leave them in and are successful (back to drainage again). Alliums are hardy and stay in but take care - they do self-seed rather a lot! Snowdrops are usually bought in "the green" - ie - with their leaves on so I don't know how they will do the first year. If you got tulips, plant them really deep in November time and where they can get baked by the sun (ha ha). You could always plant anything you are not sure about in aquatic open baskets which you can lift after flowering so you can plant other stuff in their place. Send us a pic - garden transformations are a real inspiration to us all!!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

question
Low Maintenance Wild Flower Garden

Started by Matt31 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 21, 2012, 21:40
by Living in Hope
clip
Wild flower garden cheat.

Started by Goosegirl on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post October 18, 2020, 13:19
by Yorkie
xx
Excellent British cuting garden flower site

Started by Sweetpea C on General Gardening

19 Replies
Last post August 24, 2013, 23:00
by Sweetpea C
clip
flower for i d

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post August 08, 2013, 11:58
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 37 queries.