Tomato blight advice

• 2 Replies

robinahood

• Experienced Member
Tomato blight advice
« on: September 09, 2020, 17:57 »
Hi all, I have a big crop of green tomatoes and the plants have blight. If the fruit appear to be clean, can I freeze them for later use or is it too late? I'm going away for a few days on Saturday so was hoping I could get them frozen quickly, but dont want to waste my time!

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
Re: Tomato blight advice
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 06:46 »
I'd spread them out in a sunny room with a few very ripe bananas and hope that I returned to a lot of ripening tomatoes rather than rotting, blighted tomatoes.  Others may be able to help with freezing green tomatoes, I only freeze cooked,ripe tomatoes as passata. 

Blight's hitting the last of my plants too, after what has been my worst year for outdoor tomatoes, literally not been worth the effort or space.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Tomato blight advice
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 09:18 »
If the tomatoes have gone beyond the stage where they are hard and green, preferably showing at least a hint of yellow, they should ripen indoors - normally I ripen mine 2-3 deep in a plastic container, which helps contain the ethylene gas they produce which promotes ripening, but in your case I'd spread them out so they're not touching so any infection doesn't spread to them all.

I'd still do that even if I didn't think they were likely to ripen - a few days should enable you to discover which ones are healthy enough to be frozen (blighted fruits usually start by showing brown patches under the skin.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Advice please - tomato blight

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 23, 2012, 12:04
by JayG
xx
Tomato blight advice

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 02, 2009, 23:42
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
sad
Tomato Blight

Started by Tiger Lily on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 22:53
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 39 queries.