Homemade Cheese

• 43 Replies

WG.

Homemade Cheese
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2008, 00:12 »
Quote from: "Ice hockey mad"
Make your own WG :wink:
Why didn't I think of that  :oops:  Doh!

Ice

• muck spreader
Homemade Cheese
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2008, 00:12 »
Quote from: "mashauk"
Kneidlach, well made, is to die for and I am not Jewish.

There is a knack to it, which my mum says is naturally cold hands, and if you haven't got cold hands run them in cold water first.  I haven't made them for ages  but (and I know you're all going to laugh now) I can make a fake Jewish vegetarian chicken soup, and if I have a cold I always make it with kneidlach and/or lokshen :lol:
Ah chicken soup, natures penicillin. :lol:
Cheese makes everything better.

mashauk

Homemade Cheese
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2008, 00:13 »

There is a knack to it, which my mum says is naturally cold hands, and if you haven't got cold hands run them in cold water first.  I haven't made them for ages  but (and I know you're all going to laugh now) I can make a fake Jewish vegetarian chicken soup, and if I have a cold I always make it with kneidlach and/or lokshen :lol:
Ah chicken soup, natures penicillen. :lol:

So they say, but the veggie version works too.

Ice

• muck spreader
Homemade Cheese
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2008, 00:16 »

That must be the placebo effect. :lol:

mashauk

Homemade Cheese
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2008, 00:17 »

Actually I think it's the hot clear liquid!

mushroom

Homemade Cheese
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2008, 00:17 »
Quote from: "WG."
You are asking a good Jewish girl if she can get matzo meal  :roll:  :lol:

:lol: actually I didn't realise it was a Jewish thing, and it seems I spelled it wrong too  :oops:

it tastes real nice, and for the squid I grind some very fine dried spices with the matzo. Bird-eye chilis and black pepper finely ground go very well for deep-fried squid.

Ice

• muck spreader
Homemade Cheese
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2008, 00:19 »

Actually I think it's the hot clear liquid!
:?:

mushroom

Homemade Cheese
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2008, 00:29 »

Matzo meal - oh yes, my mum makes her kneidlach with that, and coats her fried fish with it, I don't eat them any more but my mum makes the best fishcakes I've ever tasted. Have you tried matzo crackers, the big ones, they're really nice with cheese etc, Jewish people eat them at Passover instead of bread. I can get it at Sainsburys I think.

I'd eat crackers over regular bread anyday. Not tried the crackers. Wheat generally doesn't agree with me, the more processed it is the worse it is. I see from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matzo that it's possible to get it made from spelt rather than wheat.

Ice

• muck spreader
Homemade Cheese
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2008, 00:36 »
Matzo crackers are lovely on Pesach, a bit like a high baked water biscuit only bigger.

mashauk

Homemade Cheese
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2008, 01:05 »
Quote from: "mushroom"
Quote from: "WG."
You are asking a good Jewish girl if she can get matzo meal  :roll:  :lol:

:lol: actually I didn't realise it was a Jewish thing, and it seems I spelled it wrong too  :oops:

it tastes real nice, and for the squid I grind some very fine dried spices with the matzo. Bird-eye chilis and black pepper finely ground go very well for deep-fried squid.

I think with most Jewish foods there's a variety of spelling you can use (and pronounciations), such as bagels, or beigels or baigels, or as OH calls them, rubber rings (philistine!)

mashauk

Homemade Cheese
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2008, 01:09 »
So they say, but the veggie version works too.[/quote]That must be the placebo effect. :lol:[/quote]

Actually I think it's the hot clear liquid![/quote] :?:[/quote]

As in, hot clear liquids (without dairy) help to clear catarrh and warm you up and I believe savoury ones help you get your appetite back, and you are supposed to drink lots when you've a cold or flu, I don't think the chicken itself is what makes you feel better, but even if it is a placebo I don't mind, I've used a few placebos that worked (i.e. homeopathy), the body has a wonderful way of self-healing sometimes.

My recipe contains Osem Parev (meaning basically vegetarian, can be eaten either with meat or dairy) "chicken" flavoured stock, they do a real chicken stock too and it tastes exactly the same, they do a fake beef one too, anyway I cook that with an onion, a carrot, and a couple of celery sticks, don't need any salt, pepper, sometimes a tomato and kneidlach, gorgeous!

mashauk

Homemade Cheese
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2008, 01:12 »
I'd eat crackers over regular bread anyday. Not tried the crackers. Wheat generally doesn't agree with me, the more processed it is the worse it is. I see from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matzo that it's possible to get it made from spelt rather than wheat.[/quote]

Me too, can't eat Mothers Pride any more without bloating.  Cutting down generally on bread has helped though, don't really like white bread anyway, unless it's freshly baked Turkish bread or french sticks.

mushroom

mashauk

Homemade Cheese
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2008, 14:08 »
Quote from: "mushroom"
http://www.epicureantable.com/articles/archicsoup.htm

and..

http://web.archive.org/web/20040103104514/www.unmc.edu/publicaffairs/chickensoup/chickensouppublishedstudy2000.pdf

"Chicken Soup Inhibits Neutrophil Chemotaxis in vitro"

Well mine's obviously a placebo then, and is probably a comfort thing as it tastes the same (not quite as good as mums but certainly not bad, with a fair bit of garlic too), but I feel the benefits of it so I'm sticking with it, tastes yum anyway, I sometimes use the instant stock to have a late night drink instead of caffeine.

xx
homemade pancake mix

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2012, 21:18
by chrissie B
xx
Homemade Pizza

Started by Elcie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 19:44
by mumofstig
xx
Homemade ice-cream

Started by ManicMum on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post February 11, 2017, 13:27
by Mrs Bee
xx
Fresh homemade pasta

Started by Spana on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 21:57
by Spana

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 40 queries.