Homemade Cheese

• 43 Replies

Axe Victim

• Experienced Member
Homemade Cheese
« on: August 14, 2007, 20:04 »
Anybody here tried this...the wife is keen.

??????????

Axey
If life gives you lemons...wrap a dog turd in newspaper and set fire to it on Life's doorstep.

WG.

Homemade Cheese
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 20:11 »
I make a nice yogurt-based soft cheese flavoured with garlic and herbs.  Very low fat compared to La Roule etc.  Everyone seems to like it.

chrissie B

Homemade Cheese
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 09:11 »
that sounds yummmy cheese, garlicand herbs a winning combination, any chance of the recipe :lol:  pretty please
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Scribbler

Homemade Cheese
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 09:16 »
This was mentioned on the current series on the box about indian cooking. I think she must have been making curd cheese which she eventually put on kebabs on the BBQ. Something about taking some milk, adding some yogurt, letting it separate, bundling up in cheesecloth, squeezing out the whey and compacting the curds so they were nice and solid. Easy as that apparently. I've got a recipe somewhere - we've got shelves of cookbooks.

I'll post it later.
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

WG.

Homemade Cheese
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 09:45 »
Quote from: "chrissie B"
that sounds yummmy cheese, garlic and herbs a winning combination, any chance of the recipe
Scribbler is just about there.

Make a vast pot of yogurt, I use whole cows milk with a Greek starter (you should be able to find that Chrissie!).  2.5 to 3 litres of yogurt yields approx 1kg of cheese.

Strain yogurt through a double thickness of muslin for at least 24 hours - be prepared to catch 2 litres of whey.  I have an old fridge kept for the purpose & catch whey in an icecream tub.

Put curds into a bowl with a half tsp ground salt (coffee grinder), tsp garlic puree, and more shredded herbs than you can believe (I've never weighed them - maybe 4 to 6 ounces?).

Garlic puree - make your own (it freezes), don't use shop-bought since it usually has vinegar in it.

Herbs - choose a mixture of parsley, sage, thyme, rosemary, oregano, dill.  I chop mine VERY finely in a food processor.  Or make a batch without garlic & flavour with lemon balm only (Mrs Golf's fav).

Keeps for about a week in the fridge.

Use the whey (instead of water) in soups, baking or feed to dog/cat.  Fart warning in most cases due to lactose present.  I use it in the garden in slug traps and as a foliar feed.

Scribbler

Homemade Cheese
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 11:46 »
On telly she was making paneer. Have a look it seems very easy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/paneer_86451.shtml

Curd cheese is made with a pint of milk, 2 tbs of dried milk powder and 1dsp of rennet essence.

Heat milk to blood heat. Stir in milk powder. Remove from heat. Add rennet and stir in thoroughly. Leave to stand until set. Cut into squares with a knife and tip into a sieve lined with muslin, standing over a basin. Tie up the corners of the muslin and suspend over the basin overnight for the whey to drain off. Cover and stick in fridge. It'll keep for up to a week.

Keep the whey as it's good in breadmaking instead of water apparently.

This came from 'More for You Money' by Shirley Goode and Erica Griffiths. A brilliant book about cooking on a budget. If you see it, buy. Old but not out of date.

WG.

Homemade Cheese
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 11:53 »
:idea: Saag Paneer. Yum - one of the nicest curry side dishes I know.  (If you are veggie, use lemon juice instead of rennet which comes from calf's stomachs)

chrissie B

Homemade Cheese
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 13:45 »
this sounds realy easy to do and as i live in the land of youghurt will give it a go once i have sorted out the fridge full of cucumbers. :lol:
chrissie b

David.

Homemade Cheese
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 19:55 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Fart warning

I have found this advice very sound when using goat's milk.

WG.

Homemade Cheese
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 20:23 »
Quote from: "David."
very sound
pun intended?  :lol:

yummy

Homemade Cheese
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 16:13 »
I was just going to post exactly the same thing about the paneer  :)

I bought the cook book that accompanies that programme. Got it from Amazon for only £6.

mashauk

Homemade Cheese
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 18:25 »
Quote from: "WG."
:idea: Saag Paneer. Yum - one of the nicest curry side dishes I know.  (If you are veggie, use lemon juice instead of rennet which comes from calf's stomachs)

Can you hear my tummy rumbling?  I love paneer, went to this fab Asian supermarket in Leeds last time I was there and bought loads of South Indian stuff that I haven't seen for sale round here, and made a Shahi Paneer Masala, yum.  When we go to non-veg restaurants we just order about 6 side dishes with bread and rice and sag or mutter paneer is always one of the staples!  I'm going to try to make my own too.

WG.

Homemade Cheese
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 19:08 »
Just to clarify Masha, the yogurt cheese we were discussing on the other thread isn't suitable for cooking curries - it is soft, like Philadelphia

mashauk

Homemade Cheese
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 19:13 »
Quote from: "WG."
Just to clarify Masha, the yogurt cheese we were discussing on the other thread isn't suitable for cooking curries - it is soft, like Philadelphia

Yeah, like a Roule, one of my faves, along with paneer and halloumi.

Scribbler

Homemade Cheese
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 22:48 »
Really recommend that cookbook though (see above) use it for all sorts of recipes - including the best jambalaya recipe ever) but it's also great for money saving ideas and cutting down waste.

I've inherited a thing from my parents and grandparents about it being a moral obligation not to waste anything. When we first had kids it was back in the days of Live Aid etc. Even without this I still couldn't stand the idea that we were throwing food away, and the same food could have been saving people's lives.

xx
homemade pancake mix

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2012, 21:18
by chrissie B
xx
Homemade Pizza

Started by Elcie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 19:44
by mumofstig
xx
Homemade ice-cream

Started by ManicMum on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post February 11, 2017, 13:27
by Mrs Bee
xx
Fresh homemade pasta

Started by Spana on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 21:57
by Spana

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 39 queries.