In-ground womery

• 3 Replies

green_fingered_ash

In-ground womery
« on: July 06, 2011, 10:55 »
Is this the same as a bucket with the base cut off and stuck in the ground (buried half way up), then feeding in kitchen scraps of does it have to be more sophisticated?

Trillium

Re: In-ground womery
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 01:49 »
The bucket idea will work but I'd recommend a lid with some holes for air so that birds don't treat the worms as buffet fare nor the critters with the scraps.

I saw a video where a lady built a simple open-bottomed 'box' of 2x8's with a hinged lid on top, and set in an excavated hole with about 2" sticking up. It worked very well for her. Just remember to not overload the scraps or it'll turn into a stinky sludge pile instead.

green_fingered_ash

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 06:15 »
thanks never thought of the lids needing holes, but i guess it a must if i don't want mould taking over

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 12:08 »
That sounds an excellent idea, just trying to find somewhere to put one.  We have clay soil and lots of trees and bushes to it will be a challenge.  :blush:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

question
Ground nesting bees

Started by compostqueen on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post May 20, 2012, 15:42
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 35 queries.