Surplus rocket and salad leaves

• 16 Replies

fatgit

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 13:50 »
I have a similar problem, as I opened a packet of seeds and it split, all over a raised bed, and i now have about 20 rocket plants, and I'm the only person that eats it :)

The pesto idea sounds perfect though, I could make a load up and sell it at the summer fair to raise funds for the community association :tongue2:
Organic where possible, unless it involves the snails that now seem to be eating the slug pellets for fun

Beanzie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 23:19 »
Quote from: "Dawn in the North"
Hi,

I really just started to experiment last year.  Like you i had a glut of rocket and salad leaves, especially lambs lettuce.

You can do a really simple pesto recipe, I use a tiny food processor and put in 2 (large) or 3 (small/medium) garlic cloves, 2-4 table spoons of green stuff (rocket/salad/basil/coriander, etc), or as much green stuff as my food processor will take, give it a wizz, push the stuff down, giv it a wizz, and then start to add oil - I use extra virgin olive oil - about 2-3 table spoons, all the while wizzing the food processor while adding the oil - you will know the pesto is right when it goes round smothly. There are two other common ingredients - pine nuts (1 teaspoon) and Parmesan cheese (about 1 table spoon).  The adding of the pine nuts and cheese makes the flavour milder and smother, without it these the flavour is quite intense, and I like it.

I have kept in the fridge for about a week to 2 weeks, and I think you can freeze it.

If you have alot, you can experiment and find a balance you will like.  The tiny food processor I have I found to be brilliant for this kind of thing, as you can only put so much in it!

Regards
Dawn

Looks interesting _ I'll need to give it a go
Ah well ! There is always next year !

xx
USING YA SURPLUS RED TOMATO'S..... RECIPES

Started by muntjac on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post September 09, 2007, 08:17
by shaun
xx
Surplus French Beans

Started by Eblana on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post October 04, 2015, 13:33
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Any recipe for using surplus chutney?

Started by plum crumble on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

31 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 10:52
by Carrotcake
xx
storing the surplus - freezing

Started by Mr Pickles on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

20 Replies
Last post May 14, 2007, 09:17
by corndolly

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 37 queries.