Laying down rubber

• 8 Replies

BigMark

Laying down rubber
« on: May 03, 2009, 19:06 »
Hi all
Well as mentioned on previous posts I have now lined and laid down rubber chips in the run. Initial impressions are that the ladies LOVE to dig and peck in it and it should be a piece of cake to keep clean. I have built a PVC frame under the chips that has the weed membrane stretched across so when needed I can lift the run off and wash down the whole floor.
Intrested to know what you think
BEFORE

The frame with fabric

AFTER

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Laying down rubber
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 19:09 »
That looks good and I'll be very interested to hear how it performs !

I'm considering using this in my new run when we build it a month or so's time.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 19:22 »
Are the rubber chips shredded car tyres ? I`m just wondering as a few years ago car tyres were used to make artificial marine reefs but they stopped doing it (as far as i know) because toxic chemicals were leaching out and damaging the ecology.

BigMark

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 19:52 »
They are recycled, but from what I dont know, dont look like tyres but then they are shreaded :)

Rubellite

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 23:09 »
Hi Mark. I've got an ark like that. Do you think that your girls seem to get enough exercise and manage to stretch their wings ok? I keep looking at my ark and thinking it seems a little cramped :( thus it is sitting painted, disinfected and very empty :unsure:

Yolky

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 23:33 »
Let us know how this works out for you.
We got some rubber mulch from Homebase the other day (reduced to £2.70 a bag, and good job really in our 2mx4m run we needed loads) and so will be putting that down in a few weeks.

BigMark

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 08:58 »
Hi Mark. I've got an ark like that. Do you think that your girls seem to get enough exercise and manage to stretch their wings ok? I keep looking at my ark and thinking it seems a little cramped :( thus it is sitting painted, disinfected and very empty :unsure:

I think with 3 ladies its about as full as I would want (my arc is 4-5 hen size?? not for me!)
I will be getting some builders mesh and rolling out tempory pens for them to run around in. I dont think arcs give enough room on there own.

Will let everyone know how it goes, went out tothe ladies this morning and the rain has washed the "wet stuff" down, self cleaning ha ha ha

wack

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 14:28 »
What a good idea! Our chickens are kept in our old stables now the horses have gone, they have a concrete base with rubber matting over, then straw on top. In the day though they are lucky and have a small paddock to range over.

Rubellite

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 21:35 »

I think with 3 ladies its about as full as I would want (my arc is 4-5 hen size?? not for me!)
I will be getting some builders mesh and rolling out tempory pens for them to run around in. I dont think arcs give enough room on there own.

Yes, I think they're a bit optimistic suggesting 4/5 hens  :unsure: suppose it depends on the breed  ;)

xx
Rubber chippings

Started by trinacooke on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 11, 2009, 06:17
by hillfooter
xx
rubber chippings???

Started by Dawnuss on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 21, 2013, 16:06
by pepsi100
xx
Rubber Chippings for the Run?

Started by Skywise on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 15, 2011, 07:23
by New shoot
xx
malcolm the rubber chicken or new fluffy chick

Started by babe on The Hen House

37 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 21:52
by blulagoo

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 30 queries.