incubator advice

• 4 Replies

massa

• Experienced Member
incubator advice
« on: July 06, 2010, 13:23 »
hi, i have made my own incy and am picking up my first lot of eggs to test it out properly on thurs but was wondering what do people place the eggs on?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 14:29 by Ice »

massa

• Experienced Member
Re: incubator advise
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 13:38 »
Another question what type of bulb am i best using?

hillfooter

Re: incubator advise
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 14:28 »
Another question what type of bulb am i best using?

Usually it's best to think about the specification and design first before you build it so such questions are addressed at the planning stage not just before the eggs arrive.

Bulbs are generally used in brooders not incubators.  Incubators use heating elements usually.  How is the temperature and humidity regulated in your incubator, does it use forced air convection?  If so you need to locate the eggs in some form of basket which allows the air to circulate around them.  You need to have a method of egg turning so this can be done twice or three times daily without loss of heat or humidity.

HF
Truth through science.

massa

• Experienced Member
Re: incubator advice
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 15:16 »
i have followed the spec i found on the internet, it is a still air incy, i have tested the incy without eggs and it keeps a constant temperature as it is controlled by the thermostat i used on my old snake tank, and the humidity has been controlled by adding/taking away a dish of water which is measured by a digital hydrometer i have bought. the plans said to use chicken wire  bent to form the base but i wasnt sure if that was a good idea. i will have to remove the lid to turn the eggs but should be ok if done quick as i know alot of bought incys work in this way. the incy has been working and on for 3 weeks to check it all works well enough before i got the eggs, i just wanted to ask about the base as i wasnt sure about the chicken wire one i have made (although it is as the plans said) and i dint know if the colour of the bulb had any impact on success. its not a standard bulb i was using it is a proper heat lamp but they come in different colours. i should have prob been clearer in my original questions.

hillfooter

Re: incubator advice
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 04:43 »
You need a basket type of tray preferably made of plastic.  If you can get a cutlery type of tray which is of an appropriate size then that may work or otherwise use a tray with a weld mesh floor. P\\\\\\\referably a 6mm mesh so the chicks can stand on it when they hatch.  I can't think chicken wire would be any good.  The eggs need to be supported some how in a broad end up orientation.

For a heater bulb the Philips ones are quite robust larger and generally better than the ruby red types which are quite fragile.  You can get an invisible IR one which emits very low visible light but are more expensive.
HF

xx
advice on incubator

Started by meterman on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 05, 2009, 19:57
by meterman
xx
Incubator Advice

Started by Prod on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 04, 2013, 14:03
by ANHBUC
xx
Incubator advice

Started by vanessa.xx on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2011, 07:26
by Helenaj
xx
Incubator advice

Started by jonny1982 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 06, 2008, 12:58
by jonny1982

Page created in 0.272 seconds with 38 queries.