Repetitive behaviour

• 3 Replies

ghost61

Repetitive behaviour
« on: November 03, 2013, 17:42 »
One of my hens has started running up and down the run repeatedly, as well as going in and out of the hen house like a yo yo. The hen house is definitely free of mites etc. She also throws everything out of the nest box and pushes the other birds out, even though she isn't going to lay. She is eating and drinking well, eyes are bright, comb and wattles red and healthy. She hasn't got any parasites or worms as far as I can see.  If I let her out of the run she calms down and seems better for it. Is she just stir crazy? We are going to extend the run in any event, but any other suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Repetitive behaviour
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 21:27 »
Could she have a stash of eggs outside the run?  The behaviour sounds like she is wanting to get to her favourite laying spot.  :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

ghost61

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 07:02 »
No. She is laying in the hen house. At the moment she is being caught out by the shorter days and so I find her egg under the perch each morning. It may be that having given her a taste of free ranging, that is what she wants to do. Intend to try to keep her amused by hanging up bits of greens around the run during the day and hope she forgets what freedom is like. Would love to let her and the others out of the run, but am just a bit worried that they will escape ( we live on a very busy main road)!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 14:06 »
It is probably best to keep them in their enclosure with the dark mornings and afternoons as Mr Fox will be on the prowl more at this time of the year.   

xx
Behaviour

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2011, 18:26
by SurreyLass
xx
Behaviour

Started by Springlands on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 08, 2012, 20:55
by Springlands
xx
behaviour ???

Started by dawnie77 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 16:04
by SoniaBA
xx
Odd behaviour?

Started by Carolf on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 13:47
by Carolf

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 28 queries.