Incubator Advice

• 7 Replies

Prod

Incubator Advice
« on: November 01, 2013, 09:11 »
Believe  it or not my partner has let me buy an incubator!!!  After much research I decided to buy a Brinsea Eco 20 with automatic cradle.  It seems very easy to set up and use but I am not sure aboout humidity levels and control. Can anyone advise please??  Also will it still work ok without the maximum number of eggs? as I thought I would try it with just 1/2 doz to begin with:wub:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Incubator Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 18:33 »
You will be fine with less eggs.  I can't advise on the humidity as I invested in one that has a humidity pump so you just set the levels and it is all done automatically (needed and idiot proof one  :wub:).   :lol:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Helenaj

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 18:47 »
I had one of these - there is a small tray at the bottom of the incubator for the water - keep an eye on it that it doesn't run dry becuase it is difficult to see the water levels when it is on a tilt. Also make sure the egg dividers are locked in solid otherwise the eggs will roll about as the cradle tips. there was quite a lot of play in mine but i wrapped a little foil around the base rails and that seemed to do the trick.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 09:32 »
There should be an instructin manual with it that will advise.

When are you thinking about trying it out? :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

splash101

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 09:33 »
I've got one and they are really simple to use. That was one of the reasons i bought that one and the instruction manual is easy to use too.

Under the basket/tray that you lift out, there are 2 water channels. Only fill one (and keep it topped up during incubation). I top it up every 2 days.
Then just prior to hatching, fill both of the channels. Sometime you get caught out with early hatches so keep an eye on pipping eggs.
Thats as technical as it gets really. 1 channel throughout and then 2 channels prior to hatching.

When hatching commences dont keep taking the lid off as the humidity disappears and takes a long time to build up.

When i hatched quail eggs, i got about 96% hatch rate.

I suppose with all incubators try and place it somewhere where there isnt too much temperature change.

My only gripe with it is with my eyesight, i find the thermometer a bit difficult to read. A digital one would be much better.

You may have to play around with the temperature, getting it right but once its right, i dont touch it.

Yes it does work just as well with less eggs in it.

Good luck!

Prod

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 17:24 »

Thanks for the replies   

There should be an instructin manual with it that will advise.

When are you thinking about trying it out? :)

Well as soon as possible really   Im just not sure what to hatch first.  I got it as I am trying to breed rare/unusual breeds. I have a pair of young Nankins (too young to breed yet)   2 Green Legged Partridge Fowl, for which I am waiting for a Cockerel from the breeder I bought them from, and 2 Spanish White Faced POL, which I was looking for a cockerel for and today got an email from a guy who has offered me a breeding trio and a spare cockerel!!!

It may be while before I get eggs from any of them  so I have seen some Nankin eggs for sale. Other than that I could always try marans or legbars as I keep one or 2 of those and both are great eating eggs.  Finally I thought I might try some quail, as I have plenty of room for coops/housing etc  and people say they are easy to keep.   The world's my lobster (or Rhode Island Red)  I suppose... :D   Glady accept any advice though :) :) :)

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 09:00 »
Obviously you can use an incubator at any time. However it is going to cost you in electricity as they will need to be on heat for longer at this time of the year. Also stronger and healthier birds are, generally, bred by incubating in the Spring early Summer. Just a thought. :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 14:03 »
Obviously you can use an incubator at any time. However it is going to cost you in electricity as they will need to be on heat for longer at this time of the year. Also stronger and healthier birds are, generally, bred by incubating in the Spring early Summer. Just a thought. :)

And better fertility rates as well.   :)

xx
Incubator advice

Started by vanessa.xx on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2011, 07:26
by Helenaj
xx
Incubator advice

Started by jonny1982 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 06, 2008, 12:58
by jonny1982
xx
Incubator advice please!!!!!!

Started by WR1 on The Hen House

33 Replies
Last post August 23, 2008, 18:38
by sheridal
xx
Incubator Advice

Started by Prod on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 18, 2013, 19:08
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 35 queries.