Imperial measures

• 4 Replies

jezza

Imperial measures
« on: December 28, 2020, 22:03 »
Hello will we get imperial measures back then we can get value for money ,instead of 100 grams being 4oz we can get 112grsms

Bob99

• Hotwells & District Allotments Association
Re: Imperial measures
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 09:05 »
A certain well built blond chap said that he would bring back Imperial measures after 1/1/21. Manufacturers are free to label their products in imperial anyway. I still have trouble picturing a metre whereas a foot is easy. Bring back poles, chains etc?

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 10:24 »
Having worked an imperial centre lathe for many years using thousandths of an inch, hundredths, 64ths, 32nds, 16ths, 8th's and 1/4's the mathematical calculations were tiresome and unnecessary. Thou and 100s would have been far better to stick to (try working out how many 64ths are in an inch without using a decimal point..) but even those increments aren't easy to project into miles.
Unfortunately as an inbetweenie I use both metric and imperial and wish the UK had bit the bullet years ago and converted wholly to metric, we'd have all been used to it by now.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 16:57 »
When the female leader that I still hate decided to scrap free eye exams, our practice went from 90 to 9 patients a week, the practice closed not long after.
I ended up doing a couple of years in an industry that at school I concentrated on.... Engineering

I went for an interview and the chap asked me several questions, I was of that era where we worked in both imperial and metric, he gave me the job straight away, he wanted to work on a guillotine as the young uns worked with mild steel (cheap) and the old boys worked with stainless steel (expensive) but the problem was the drawing office was in metric and the old boys was imperial.

Went well for a couple of years, it was fun, another thing happend at the same place, I was invited on a coach trip with my mate (drinking day out) to GCHQ, I only went for the beer but ended up on the front page of every Sunday newspaper going at the front of the march  :D a week later and guess who was the shopsteward  :mad:

Anyways back on subject, I still to this day use both quite happily.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 10:22 »
I use different systems for different things - sowing and planting spacings are Imperial but mixing fertilisers best done in metric. I used to design kitchens and they became metricated just after I started. Much easier in metric.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

xx
metric imperial

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

20 Replies
Last post March 03, 2019, 09:04
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 43 queries.