perfect eggs with hole in top....?

• 4 Replies

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
perfect eggs with hole in top....?
« on: March 28, 2011, 21:32 »
hey all,

for the last few days i have found perfect eggs with a small hole in the top (round end rather than pointy end). the shell has fallen in and sits on the protective sack. everything inside is fine and undamaged.

i think its the same hen each day. as she lays last and sits in the next box for ages before laying and never makes a sound...unlike all the others.

the shells are beautifully hard and crack well when broken. there is plenty of grit available and the layers pellets are dodson and horrell. these hens are new to laying so that might be the reason but i'm not sure.

what is going wrong???

any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

Casey76

Re: perfect eggs with hole in top....?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 07:29 »
That sounds like egg pecking :(  has the hen only just come into lay?  I had a couple pullets last year, that when they first started laying they would peck the egg, almost like "what on earth is that?"  They did stop after a week or so.

The other thing is, is there plenty of bedding in the nest boxes?  I've started using straw on top of the aubiose again, as i don't think the aubiose by itself was a very "welcoming" nesting material.

shetan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 19:42 »
thanks for your reply casey.

its definately not egg pecking because i've grabbed them as soon as they've been laid a couple of times.

today's egg just has a pin hole in it - again on the top but slightly to the side rather than dead centre. if it was pecking, wouldn't the holes be more random? also there have been pot eggs in the coop and run (thats where they first started laying) to discourage egg eating - which has worked so they tend to leave the eggs alone.

as for bedding - i've tried sawdust (dust removed), hay, straw and hemcore but they remove it. there is even a ridge on the edge to stop it falling out of the nest box but they just spend hour after hour picking it out before laying.

so i'm still at a loss. maybe they're not getting everything they need from the layers? another thing that comes to mind - once or twice there have been eggs without holes but blue veiny cracks like hairline fractures where the holes would be. are the jerseys too heavy and sitting on the eggs, making them crack?

questions questions......  :blink:

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 20:05 »
The only other thing I can think of is that on another forum (and I can't for the life of me remember which one - might even be this one come to think of it!) Someone was getting perfectly formed eggs with a hole in them which corresponded to the position of the chalazae - almost as if the shell wasn't forming over it properly.  I remember seeing some strange photos to go with it, but it was a long time ago, and I don't remember many details - sorry! :(

ETA:  Here you go anything like this?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 20:08 by Casey76 »

shetan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 20:16 »
hmmmmm

would that imply then that the shell isn't as hard in this area and any small knock would result in a crack or even a 'caving in' effect of a small part of shell - abit like the soft spot on a baby's head???

its not the end of the world because the eggs are fine when i crack them. it just means i can't really sell them just incase anyone gets ill and blames the egg.

would be nice to find a way to fix it....seems unfair for my girl to go through all that work and then produce a less than perfect egg...poor thing. its like coming 2nd in a race.

p.s not like the added link. def. nothing protruding out of the shell and the hole doesn't have a ridge around it. will try to add a picture but it just looks like either the shell has missed a bit or cracked arund the edge to let the middle bit fall in - like a crater.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 23:20 by shetan »

xx
Pop hole - how big

Started by mumof4 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 24, 2008, 11:56
by mumof4
xx
Hole in the egg

Started by stujem on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 07, 2011, 20:03
by Vecten
xx
Hole in Egg

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 24, 2009, 17:28
by joyfull
xx
pop hole

Started by bajmoe on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 09, 2014, 17:24
by barley

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 29 queries.