Have I got everything I need

• 19 Replies

Barry J Scott

• Beef to Leaf
« on: January 08, 2007, 12:53 »
I am just getting ready for 6 chickens and was wondering if anyone can see if I have forgotten any things I might need.  Here is what I have or will have.

-----
Have:
House (from JT's Animal and Poultry Housing, see it here)
Louse powder
Grit feeder
Virkon disinfectant
Pressure sprayer
Diatom
Rat bait station and bait

Will Have:
Run
Feeder
Drinker
Layers pellets
Mixed corn
Grit
Oyster shell
Dust extracted wood shavings
Anti septic spray
Vaseline
-----

I think this is just about it, anything I am missing, please let me know.  Also can I say that this site and the links have been a great help.

Barry
Baz

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 12:56 »
:shock: I think you've got the lot mate  :!:

muntjac

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 13:31 »
i think ya well sorted .when can i move in.....leave out the layers pellets next time round if ya can get mash in your area , now all ya need is some hay or straw mate , eggs are wet when they pop out and sticky shavingsare no good for laying n .and they stick to chucks back end  :wink:  and dont buy the disinfectant .. buy jeyes , and add a couple more rat baiters to ya list . when ya get a chance buy some 3 inch down spout  a 10 ft length  cut 3 x 45%angles  at iether end slope them   the same angle . .buy rat bait from suppliers in a tub . top them up when you see they are empty by  putting a spoon on a piece of cane  with tape put poison down the tube .....save yaself a heap money  :wink:
still alive /............

Barry J Scott

• Beef to Leaf
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 13:35 »
Thanks for the info.  Can I ask why your recommend the mash as opposed to pellets (I can get either) as most things I have read recommend pellets as they are less wasteful?

Straw and shavings are no problems as my mum has a horse so I'll pinch hers  :D

sorrel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 13:43 »
I agree with muntjac about the jeyes (i use it and have had no problems).  As to the debate about layers pellets / mash - well i kind of use a bit of both although the chickens dont seem to mind what they have I find that they have to work harder to eat the same amount of mash as they would on pellets, this occupies more of their time and stops them getting bored (only my theory and i'm not an expert).
Starting from scratch............

muntjac

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 13:43 »
layers pellets are just milled and extruded pulverised seed  and sorry to say anty.they dont contain anything that isnt found in seed  and what the birds pick up themselves, layers pellets are for factory farmed birds . for 6 birds take a sweetcorn tin of mash   and a very small amount of water and mix right through till the mash becomes like crumble then add 4 tins of corn or barley and mix again , all my trays are empty so i cant say it is wasted at all i only off advice on what i do tho so each to thier own xx. if i feed sweetcorn i feed it as seed not cooked .as i am not sure about the salt in it ,, if it has any?

Barry J Scott

• Beef to Leaf
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 14:04 »
Thanks everyone.  All advise is appreciated and based on what you have said I am leaning more towards mash now.

Cannot wait to get the ladies in  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 15:22 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
feed sweetcorn i feed it as seed not cooked .as i am not sure about the salt in it ,, if it has any?

You're absolutly right muntjac - salt is very bad for hens.  My very spoilt chooks get fresh corn on the cob which I hang up for them to peck at ( there will be a big block of that on the lottie for them).  I give them tinned corn (in spring water - no added sugar or salt) for a treat too.  It depends what your birds are for: yours are for laying wonderful freerange eggs muntjac and mine are pets who also lay great eggs.  

I totally respect the information you give us about hen keeping Muntjac, it's brilliant to get advice from some one who has (very successfully) kept hens as long as you have  :D

muntjac

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 15:24 »
:oops: awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

jack russell

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 15:55 »
Hi All

As i have not got a price on either layers or mash yet is there a big difference.

cheers

jr
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 16:18 »
I pay about £6.20 for a sack of Marriage's layers pellets.

http://www.marriagefeeds.co.uk/farmyard_layers_pellets_mash.htm

Barry J Scott

• Beef to Leaf
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 16:23 »
The place near me stocks the Smallholder range and it seems to have everything I need.

http://www.smallholderfeed.co.uk/layers.htm

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 18:04 »
Don't forget your wellie boots!!!!!!!!

Barry J Scott

• Beef to Leaf
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 18:06 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
Don't forget your wellie boots!!!!!!!!

Yep, got me some of them from www.wildchicken.com  :D

And some overalls are on the way.  I can then get ready for work, chuck on the overalls, see to the ladies and then go to work.

muntjac

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 19:54 »
oh and i forgot you need some baby bottle sterilising fluid . if you now sell eggs i suggest you put some in cold water  and dip the eggs before packing and dry well ,, and there are certain rules with selling more than a couple dozen .. but if ya like wot i am ,* the govt and besides i like to see poop on the shells as it means they really are proper eggs :wink: incidently if you get poop on a shop bought egg .. take the lot back as it is a health and safety food standards blah blah .rule being broken and more commercial eggs are bought in from europe than ever before

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 36 queries.