Are we going to let this happen?

• 17 Replies

sunnywillow

Are we going to let this happen?
« on: March 31, 2020, 14:56 »
Coronavirus: Millions of garden plants set to be binned :mad: :mad: :mad:

What about growing our own food? I'm sure there are lots of veggie plants that will be destroyed 
Also, I thought that seeing flowers in a tub or garden border, can help to raise spirits in times of doom and gloom and help with mental health.
What about all the compost going to waste?
Surely if the Govt. allow Garden Centres to open just 2 days a week, on restricted hours and of course social distancing, maybe only allowing a few customers in at a time, then we will all be helping local businesses and as gardeners ensure we have fresh produce and many smiley faces   :) :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Are we going to let this happen?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 15:02 »
IMO It's sad, but not worth the risk to the people selling, or buying to open the nurseries

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 15:46 »
It's not essential, and preventing virus spread is far more important than flowers. There is an argument for vegetables, but one has to consider the risk to the people staffing the centre, and their families.  I know a lot of people are really struggling to get their heads around this, but this is absolutely life or death, for millions of people. Every person out increases the risk for all of us.

I am (just) happy with going to the allotment, because I think we will see erratic food supplies later, and it will mean less shopping (at higher risk) in the summer, (and because there is no-one there but us most days). But unless one is either going to starve, or would need medical attention without it, one shouldn't be doing it now.  And we will simply have to manage without anything we haven't already got, if it can't be arranged without contact. (and few things have no contact. Even if you can pay online and have stuff put in your car boot, or delivered its still increasing contact for staff, and posties and so on)

I would think its very likely that the delivery will be limited to food and medical supplies only, soon, and that if people (like my neighbour, who popped out for paintbrushes earlier, because he didn't know where his teacher wife had put them, and she wasn't going to be back until this evening) don't stop going out for non essentials, we will not be allowed out without a permit. Once weekly (or fortnightly) for food and keyworkers or booked medical appointments only. Fines if no permit.  In Italy, its three months jail if you are caught out with a temperature and more if you are found to have infected anyone. In Spain, you are fined on the spot.

I am probably getting a reputation for a having a bee in my bonnet over this, but I have relatives in Spain and Italy, and they send me pictures like this.

This is a convoy of military vehicles containing people who have died in Northern Italian Hospitals. They are taking them to the South of the country, where there are fewer cases, because the Crematoriums in the North cannot cope, even working around the clock. These people died in isolation, without family members and often in great distress, because the hospitals are just too overwhelmed to provide adequate care. They will have no funeral, and no flowers. It is so well known that the people are dying in distress in Italian hospitals now, that people are not calling ambulances anymore, they are choosing to die at home instead. And once they have, it is taking days for the bodies to be removed. Italy's health services is better than ours, and their response was faster. This will happen here, if we carry on as we are.

Stay at home.
89881953_10158093290532974_6293726311122731008_n.jpg

Steve.B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 11:00 »
My local has closed with 10'000 spuds/Onions Polyanthus and bedding plants all ready to go but they can't sell them, even if they put them outside for free too many people would turn up for them, wonder if they have insurance cover that would cover that? As for going to the plot it's a 10min drive and parking is at a premium at home and would not get back in near our house so would have to walk it, but at least we got our spuds and Onions in.
Take care/stay safe.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 19:55 »
You could phone up your local garden centre and ask can you buy some of what is going to be binned. Pay over the phone and they leave it at the door. At least you tried to save something. But don't go for a drive miles and go too close to people, Wellington is spot on, better stay at home.

I will say I don't understand why more garden centres have shut when they can do low contact and sell over the phone and put the trolley in the car park and sell essentials. Hearing one site member's struggle to get compost was upsetting.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 20:43 »
I will say I don't understand why more garden centres have shut when they can do low contact and sell over the phone and put the trolley in the car park and sell essentials. Hearing one site member's struggle to get compost was upsetting.

It's simple.  Peoples' lives are more important than growing stuff.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 21:49 »
I think it is more wonga based than welfare. 

The amount that could be made from car park sales just does not justify keeping a big centre open.  Small independent shops might scrape by and feel it is worth it.  Sad, but true - the sales of 'essential items' in a destination centre are only a fraction of what they make. 

sunnywillow

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 22:21 »
Hi all.  Glad to say my local GC has begun to sell their plants at reduced prices...online orders and payment only... and they will deliver for a minimal fee. Even compost!  Win win both sides. They probably won't make as much money, but at least there will be less plants going to the tip.  :)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 00:28 »
The idea is to limit physical contact and crowds. Hence closing all but a limited range of shops. What the government doesn't want to do is completely destroy the economy by closing everything down. It's very serious but not the apocalypse!
Our two local, independent garden centres have reacted by offering free delivery. In effect, they've become online businesses. Keeps them afloat, us supplied and the economy ticking over.
The horticultural trade association understandably was asking for government money (our money in effect) for the stock write offs but the independent small centres adapt and react to keep going by their own efforts.
If the economy collapses many people will die - even in the war the economy kept going. The delicate balancing act the government is making now is aimed at maximising lives. It's not easy, I wouldn't like to be the PM right now. There are no good options, just the least worst options.
Playing the doom and gloom card through the lens of political bias is not helpful; this is not pounds before people or the imposition of a police state. There is little to choose between the wealthy countries healthcare provision - it's quite naive to claim the French system or Italian or German or British system is the best. So much depends on the criteria used for comparison.
What is absolutely clear is we all need to do our bit to avoid our health systems becoming swamped. If we don't many people will die who otherwise will survive because the support they will require is available.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 09:28 »
You are right John.  Shopping, or more correctly browsing, is a big part of our leisure time in the UK.  Garden centres attract huge crowds at this time of year and a lot of people in the vulnerable groups like to visit them.  It wouldn't be possible to keep everyone safe.

I hope the little guys in the industry get some benefit out of all this.  The big chains generally have on-line operations anyway, but the independents can offer the same in their own way and showcase their dedication to customer service and community. 

These are anxious times.  It is fine to feel scared, or worried or sad by it all.  That is what the forum excels at - giving a virtual hug or ear to listen when you need one.  We must carry on and roll with the punches.   We have been told what is expected and they are not rules applied for the fun of it.  We are strong as a country, our health workers are sensational and we will get through.  Battered and bruised maybe, but we will  :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2020, 10:58 »
The NHS have given us all a clap in thanks for us staying at home.  Helping others by doing what we have been asked to do is far more important than helping ourselves. 

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 13:27 »

It's simple.  Peoples' lives are more important than growing stuff.

Our garden centre of choice is not a huge conglomerate, it's family run and will harm locals and the local economy if it's closed down totally. The place his plants are grown is based in Scotland, he spends his money locally and supports local businesses. He has a vested interest in his and his employees safety because he knows them, they aren't part of the faceless masses over there in one of the many many stores like they will be to the bosses of the big companies. Whose interest is more likely than not going to be in the bottom line.
Someone we know works for him, wants to be working and thinks the way it is being run is safe with just 1/2 people in, customer numbers being limited and the trolleys being sprayed down before and after customers have been near it. It's a lot safer than the supermarket since there is no wandering, you park next to the trolley, put your shopping in the boot and then leave.

It's a fine line but he's doing his best and we are worried we'll lose a local business. He should be able to sell plants as well as manure or compose as long as he's being as safe as he is.

wighty

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 15:47 »
Drove past our nearest GC at lunchtime (family owned) and they were loading their van up with compost etc., so it looks like they are delivering still.  The actual building is closed to the public though.

rowlandwells

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2020, 19:41 »
 i think John has really hit the nail on the head this time good sense and reason comes to mind to  i personally owe the NHS  a great thank you because without them eighteen months ago i wouldn't be here to write this reply absolutely very good at nursing me back to health god bless um can't thank them enough and if they wanted me clapped every day i would

so fare as plants are concerned we placed our order to our supplier last September and this week they cancelled our order when i contacted them they said they had big problems with there customers who had placed orders for there nurseries and garden centres but had cancelled there orders probably thousands of plug plant will be dumped i have to say i re-ordered my plants and hopefully they will be delivered in two weeks time  :unsure:

not appearing to be  selfish but i can see why people want to go to the garden centres because for us it was an afternoon out and not just just to buy plants and we also miss our village market every Thursday we got together had a bacon butty bought a few home made cakes more of a social event than a market but needs must we have to stay safe and keep indoors or on the garden to help the NHS and others

grinling

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2020, 19:41 »
My garden centre is Parker's,which is also online, working 5 days a week sending out on the yodel lorries. Like all mail order they are very busy.
The garden centre has 1 staff member in, watering and taking care of the plants, so they are at their best when reopen. He did put out spring bulb plants for free (my front garden looking very pretty), but they didn't have summer bedding plants available before closing.
I see no reason why garden centres have had to say they will throw trees etc, They need to maintain.

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 56 queries.