s 20 v s 30 what's the differance ?

• 2 Replies

wolverine

• Experienced Member
s 20 v s 30 what's the differance ?
« on: May 14, 2011, 12:45 »
Just been to get a gas canister an they sell two types s 20 and s 30 teh both seem to fit my valve ( I just eyed up the threads so might be wrong. Is there a differance ? and which should I buy it's a lager kit I want to put in the pressure barrel
thanks
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 12:47 by wolverine »
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

wolverine

• Experienced Member
Re: s 20 v s 30 what's the differance ?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 16:04 »
got a s 30 and it screws in fine but the co2 leaks out the top and the two holes on the side ! Can someone please help I have this valve http://www.thebrewshopuk.com/contents/media/old%20valve.jpg
with a  hambleton bard s30 cylinder 

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
Re: s 20 v s 30 what's the differance ?
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 17:16 »
The S30 is the better of the 2 cylinders as it is bigger, no other difference.

You can't carbonate lager in a pressure barrel though as a plastic pressure barrel is only suitable for low levels of carbonation like you would have in Ale.

For lager you either need to bottle or use Cornelius Kegs, which are made from Stainless Steel, as these can take much higher pressure which is required in order to carbonate lager to the desired amount.

Your valve could leak for 2 reasons.

1.  You are trying to put too much gas in the Keg and the pressure release safety valve is letting excess CO2 escape.
2.  The pressure release valve is not working properly and just letting all the gas out.  I'm not an expert on them valves so I would either take it to the shop and ask them to test it or get one of these to replace it with.

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Brass_barrel_valve_inlet_and_relief_valve.html

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 39 queries.