Patio Nectarine

• 5 Replies

Agatha

Patio Nectarine
« on: March 05, 2012, 12:16 »
I was given a patio nectarine last year.  Kept it in the (unheated) greenhouse to protect from peach leaf curl and frost/wind damage, but left the door open in the day to allow for pollination.  Also tried pollinating using a paintbrush.  The flowers just withered, died and no fruit grew.  The plant itself is really healthy and is once again covered with buds that are just about to open and I would really like some nectarines this year!  Any ideas? 

'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Patio Nectarine
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 17:28 »
I don't know whether it will have been self-fertile or whether it would need a second tree to pollinate it.  Do you know the variety?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Agatha

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 16:00 »
Can't remember the variety off-hand, but it was self-fertile - supposed to be great for tiny gardens or balconies with only space for one.  :(

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 17:55 »
It does sound like a pollination problem, unless the plant got too dry.

Have you reviewed the RHS page to see if there's any clues there?  (Peaches and nectarines are treated the same).

FN

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 13:13 »
I have a patio peach (which is also self fertile) on a balcony in London, so pollination is a real problem. I have found the most reliable was to get a decent yield of fruit is to pollinate with a paintbrush every other day while it's blossoming.

Agatha

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 15:51 »
Tried the paintbrush last year & am doing the same this year.  We did have a massive heatwave for about 4 days in early April last year - too hot to sit outside! - so I'm wondering if that might have been a contributory factor.  The tree didn't dry out, but the sudden increase in temperature must have been a bit of a shock!

xx
Dwarf nectarine tree

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 05, 2011, 11:07
by fallen angel
xx
Nectarine tree unhealthy.

Started by DampPatch on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 29, 2011, 19:37
by gobs
question
Peach and nectarine trees

Started by Speachless on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 18, 2010, 00:29
by Trillium
xx
Is it too late to plant a nectarine this year.

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 20:16
by LivvyW

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 38 queries.