Nectarine tree unhealthy.

• 7 Replies

DampPatch

Nectarine tree unhealthy.
« on: June 28, 2011, 11:26 »
Hi, I wondered if anybody had any ideas what could be wrong with my nectarine tree.

I have a 2-3 year old nectarine tree in the garden growing against a wooden fence. No fruit from it yet. It has grown to 7-8 ft tall.

In the spring it grew really quickly and healthily, gained lots of height and new branches. In late spring I noticed a few signs of fungal leaf curl on some of the leaves, although most still appeared healthy. I picked off the few unhealthy leaves.

About a month ago nearly all the leaves from the top half of the tree dropped off overnight. These were all healthy, green leaves, not affected by leaf curl. We had a dry spell followed by heavy rain so I wondered if the rain had knocked the leaves off? The top half of the tree is now bare, all that lovely growth from the spring has been destroyed. The bottom half of the tree still has all it's leaves and appears relatively healthy.

does anybody have an idea what could be wrong? Is there anything I can do to ensure it survives. I was wondering if I should cut off the bare top 3-4 feet so it can re-grow from the healthy looking bottom 3-4 feet?

Thanks in anticipation

Tom,

Devon

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Nectarine tree unhealthy.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 12:27 »
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=79628.msg894556;topicseen#new

If you are going to prune it then you need to do so before September really.

This article has a really useful pruning diagram twoards the end, which might help.

Nectatarines love sun but it seems unlikely rain has knocked all the leaves off. I'm thinking caterpillars  :unsure:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

DampPatch

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 14:02 »
This article has a really useful pruning diagram twoards the end, which might help.

Thanks sunshineband, however I couldn't find anything relevant on that link. Is that the right one?

Cheers,

Tom

gobs

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 19:02 »
Check out peach leaf curl, then you can compare against photos.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 20:27 »

Thanks sunshineband, however I couldn't find anything relevant on that link. Is that the right one?

Cheers,

Tom

http://www.pots2plots.com/Fruit/Growing%20Nectarines.htm

Sorry, don't know how that happened!!

Try this one!

DampPatch

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 09:08 »
Thanks for the replies

Sunshineband: Thanks for the very useful and detailed link. I couldn't see any sign of caterpillars.

Gobs: The tree did have a small amount of leaf curl but would that explain all the healthy, non-affected, leaves dropping off the top half of the tree in one go (literally overnight)?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 12:19 »
Peach leaf curl mainly affects new leaves and shoots.

Did the leaves turn reddish before they fell off - if no, then plc is unlikely. I htink you said they were green)

Your idea of pruning the tree to make it more manageable sounds good --- nectarines like plenty of warmth and the fence offers good protection.

gobs

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 19:37 »
Thanks for the replies

Sunshineband: Thanks for the very useful and detailed link. I couldn't see any sign of caterpillars.

Gobs: The tree did have a small amount of leaf curl but would that explain all the healthy, non-affected, leaves dropping off the top half of the tree in one go (literally overnight)?

Yes, it does come with barrennes. As Sunshine says, if you haven't had any redness with it, you are lucky to think of drought. However, once you have a nectarine, it's worth to be familiar with all details of this disease.

On the other hand, one can lose a young tree to drought too. without leaves, it's getting into trouble. Copious amounts of daily watering I would advise.

xx
Dwarf nectarine tree

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 05, 2011, 11:07
by fallen angel
xx
Patio Nectarine

Started by Agatha on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 12, 2012, 15:51
by Agatha
question
Peach and nectarine trees

Started by Speachless on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 18, 2010, 00:29
by Trillium
xx
Is it too late to plant a nectarine this year.

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 20:16
by LivvyW

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 36 queries.