slugs

• 4 Replies

ilan

• Experienced Member
slugs
« on: June 10, 2012, 19:13 »
This wet weather has caused a population explosion of slugs I think they are keil slugs that live in the grass little light grey ones as my beds are cut into grass I have lost 24 runner beans stripped to the stalks 18 sweet corns just gone and two now very poorly marrows the potatoes have been hit and I never even saw the pea plants I must have killed hundreds of the little  :mad: dont know what to try next as with all the rain slug pellets / traps wont work
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

Grubbypaws

Re: slugs
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 19:22 »
Nemaslug works really well and likes wet conditions but is not cheap. I have used it this year for the first time and have not lost a single plant to the enemy.

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/HarrodSite/search/product/Pest+Control_Biological+Pest+Control/GPC-265.htm

I am hoping that I will get ahead of the game and then only have to apply it occasionally but time will tell.

It works superbly but I haven't done a cost analysis; i guess it depends on how you value your time and your pleasure.

I hope this helps.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 19:44 »
I use the Growing Success organic slug pellets. They're supposed to carry on working after rain or watering, and certainly they've always worked for me. There's a plague of slugs around after all this rain, but these pellets are keeping them away from my plants.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 00:08 »
I'm on a combination of nematodes and organic slug pellets - still getting the occasional slug pr two, but nothing near the decimation my neighbours have had. Touch wood...

Then again, if the rain keeps coming I think that everything will drown as I'm on clay and there's a peaky pan of solid clay just over a spade depth down.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 07:17 »
Slug pellets, whatever kind, do need to be replaced from time to time to stay effective, especially when it rains a lot  :wacko:

I resort to blue pellets of death when times are hard, and they do the trick
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
How to get rid of slugs?

Started by MrsR on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 27, 2007, 15:44
by Sven The Swede
xx
Slugs

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 04, 2012, 15:25
by rowlandwells
xx
SLUGS

Started by wapello on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 28, 2018, 11:32
by rowlandwells
xx
slugs already ?????

Started by topsy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 13:13
by tosca100

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 39 queries.