slugs

• 17 Replies

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
slugs
« on: April 06, 2009, 16:57 »
Is it worth using nematodes to kill slugs?  They're pretty pricey & have to be reapplied regularly - anyone got any experience of using them?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Re: slugs
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 17:29 »
their supposed to be very good but I've never tried them and it's probably to early in the year to try as the soil temp needs to be up a bit.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 18:17 »
monty reckons sawdust is the best deterrent while u wait for the right time for nematodes

Growbag

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 18:49 »
I'm giving nematodes a try this year.   I have arranged a delivery for end April.   They suggest waiting a week before planting any seedlings as it can take a few days for any slugs to stop feeding.  Hoping that one application will keep the numbers down for six weeks allowing young seedlings to develop sufficiently.   I will report back later in the year with my findings.
From fork to fork

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 22:29 »
i'm also trying them out this year, first batch arriving end of April, second batch arriving 6 weeks later.

I'm putting them in my raised bed veg plot, and have copper tape surrounding them to stop new slugs getting in.

i'll be interested to see how successful I'll be and others.

slugtrap

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 23:15 »
A damp night, a head-torch and a pair of scissors... very satisfying and effective. You can get well over a hundred in 20 minutes!! :tongue2:

Brambles

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 23:24 »
Me too...  I spent a whole summer going out every night, whatever the weather.   First couple of weeks I got between 100 and 150 per night, gradually decreasing over the summer and autumn, (I do have a very large garden!)...  Of course I still do have slugs and snails, but they are quite manageable and my chickens LOVE them!   It gets a bit tedious going out every night, but you do get great satisfaction knowing that you are reducing the numbers by a huge amount... well worth doing and MUCH cheaper than  nematodes :D

sharky

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 00:20 »
A damp night, a head-torch and a pair of scissors... very satisfying and effective. You can get well over a hundred in 20 minutes!! :tongue2:

good lord  :wacko:

FRUITFULL

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 07:14 »
i find a slug or snail and feel sorry for it and end up walking down the end of my road to set it free.We have frogs and slow worms in our garden,they must be starving! :(
If only the slugs would stick to the weeds!

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 07:26 »
I have done the torch and scissors thing in the garden before now but can't really do it in the allotment as it's miles away from where I actually live, so I can't just wander across there of an evening.  I've put a little pond in in the hopes of attracting frogs and toads which might help.  I have no sympathy for slugs I'm afraid and not much for snails either to be honest, although I don't like to kills the small ones with the pretty shells but have no compunction about the big ugly fellas - hypocrite, moi?  I just don't want to use chemicals on the plot which is why I'm wondering about the effectiveness of nematodes.

dougsta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 12:30 »
Sounds like nematodes are your best bet if it's too far away to get there in the night and no use of chemicals
If at first you don't succeed..... cheat!

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 12:35 »
Yep used them last year and they worked wonders to my already destroyed seed spuds, I just wish I have bought some sooner. The big difference with them is they attack the slugs and eggs underground, whereas slug pellets and copper, etc only get the ones above the ground.
£10 for each application so I will only be using 1 and hope it protects my seed spuds untill they start growing and that we have a dry(ish) year....... here's hoping!!

Think I will stick some slug pellets in the trench before I stick my seed spuds in... good or bad idea?

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 15:01 »
potato wise last year i grew maris bard nadine and king edward, the king edward and maris were riddled with slugs, but the nadine were barely touched so i guess choosing your variety helps as well.

Growbag

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 16:29 »
Fruitfull - beats walking the dog I suppose but did you realise that slugs and snails will travel back that half a mile to find home again.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 16:43 »
Thinking of using nematodes myself but i hear they pricey!

Wheres the cheapest place to buy them?????????
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

xx
slugs

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 12:04
by m1ckz
xx
slugs

Started by celjaci on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 19:44
by strangerachael
xx
slugs

Started by frazzy on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 21, 2007, 21:56
by jane1264
xx
Slugs

Started by rictic on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 29, 2009, 22:03
by AlotArds

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 35 queries.