When do you buy your seed potatoes?

• 13 Replies

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
When do you buy your seed potatoes?
« on: November 25, 2012, 08:48 »
I was planning on buying mine towards the end of January but a plot neighbour mentioned that he's bought/ordered his already?

When should I be looking to buy mine, now or in the new year?

Cheers
Jim
British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: When do you buy your seed potatoes?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 08:52 »
You're likely to get a better choice if you buy sooner. This year, with the poor crops for many, there are added concerns about lack of seed stocks and increased prices. I'd buy now and save them until chitting time, they will keep well if you store them properly - cool and dark.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 08:55 »
I always get mine in the New Year.

Problem is that this year people are panic buying due to possible shortages as it was a bad season.

I get mine from a local nursery, so they will not be available until next year anyway, but I suspect the choice will be more limited.

There's nothing to stopping you ordering now, if the company is a decent one they will not deliver until the New Year anyway.

I refuse to pay postage costs on spuds!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Lottiman

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 11:32 »
I would order them now if you are getting them on line /delivered as I'm anticipating there will be fewer variety's of seed on offer. Me myself allways collect my seed potato's from a local garden centre that carry a huge 180 variety selection but they won't be in untill I'm guessing the end of january, but I will phone them to check delivery date and go get them as soon as they are in.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 11:33 by Lottiman »
Optimism probably a gardeners best tool.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 11:48 »
I buy mine from a local garden centre as soon as I'm aware they are there (usually early January.) They then sit quite happily on a cool, light, north-facing windowsill until planting time (finally chucked the spares away in August this year when I realised they weren't going to get planted!)

I'm prepared to have to compromise on variety though assuming the reports of poor yields and panic buying feed through to the shelves.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

fatcat1955

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 14:17 »
Buy before midnight tonight from T&M and get free P&P. Many varietie's £2.99 For 20 Tuber's

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 19:38 »
I always buy from my local Wyevale because they have a huge choice and also sell some varieties loose, usually in January. I also refuse to pay postal charges on spuds. I'll be very surprised if the choice and availability of varieties on display this year is any different from last year. I suspect they'll just put the prices up a bit :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 20:29 »
I'll be very surprised if the choice and availability of varieties on display this year is any different from last year.

You may be unpleasantly surprised then  :( I hope not,  but see page 3 of

this document   from the Seed Potato Classification Scheme

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 20:37 »
Our association shop manager has already ordered our standard spuds for next season - he is not offering the wider range of 'to order' varieties because of low stock fears.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

fatcat1955

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 21:35 »
http://www.farmersguardian.com/home/arable/arable-news/no-shortage-of-potato-seed-despite-challenging-season/50846.article
But if you read this report (if the link work's) Then we should be ok for our seed spud's.

edit to fix long link
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 21:42 by mumofstig »

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 08:45 »
I usually pick mine up off the local market when they're 'in season', but this year I ordered online from Kings, to be delivered in jan/feb. A few minutes after I'd ordered they were marked out of stock (not surprised though, four lots of 2.5kg and pack of ten for a tenner).

BabbyAnn

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 08:55 »
In the past T&M have offered free p&p over the festive season which I've often taken advantage of but I have to confess that I decided to order them early from elsewhere to be sure I got the varieties I wanted.

[/quote]
Problem is that this year people are panic buying due to possible shortages as it was a bad season.

I did wonder if this wasn't a rumour released by potato merchants to get people to put orders in quick (not just gyo folk but any farmer intending on growing potatoes next year)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 12:41 »
The local farmer that produces the sacks of spuds I buy to eat has massively increased his prices this year. However, he told me the main reason for that was that when he came to harvest the crop the land was too wet to drive machinery onto so he had to lift the crop the old fashioned way, using manual labour, and that's very expensive for him. Because of this and because he waited an extra month hoping the land would dry out enough for machinery, he was later getting some varieties lifted for sale but in the end his crop has been close to normal.

Poolcue

• Peter's garden and allotment
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 12:58 »
From the allotment shop as per normal.No excessive P@P to pay.

xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
seed potatoes

Started by oldtimer on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 14, 2007, 17:48
by DD.
xx
Seed potatoes

Started by gregmcalister on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 30, 2010, 11:18
by Rangerkris
xx
Seed potatoes

Started by squirrelsdig on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 09, 2008, 17:45
by gobs

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 40 queries.