Chafer Grubs

• 6 Replies

malcbrown

Chafer Grubs
« on: April 07, 2014, 14:21 »
Hi There,
                Does anyone know a cheap remedy for chafer grubs.  I have a small area of my lawn that's suffering an attack of these little blighters and the only chemicals I have seen to kill them cost a small fortune and clear a vast area instead of a few sq feet.  any help would be appreciated.

malcbrown

bravemurphy

Re: Chafer Grubs
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 15:57 »
Hire a few hens for a week  :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 16:34 »
Welcome Malcbrown - I've moved your question from the Welcome board to General Gardening, where more people are likely to see it.

Feel free to return to the Welcome board to introduce yourself.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

RichardA

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 17:25 »
Have you talked to any lawn professional organisations such as Greenthumb? Or posted on any other forums that deal with lawns or greens or golf courses etc?
I have heard of others using Greenthumb for example for domestic lawns with pest problems and not being put of by cost - I am in North Lincolnshire. Personally I know I have chafer beetle grubs in my garden as I find them from time to time when stripping turf or digging flower beds or veg plots but they seem to widespread so not what I call an invasion. My ducks love them so they get hand fed to the ducks.
I hope you get sorted.
R

RichardA

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 17:40 »
quick after thought - nematodes seem to be the way to go according to the RHS webpage -- at about £30 a shot for 100 sq metres I see your point about being uneconomic for a small area BUT BUT if you have chafer beetles then perhaps your neighbours do also -- could share cost. Also saw a chafer beetle trap to catch the flying mature bugs advertised on web. Both traps and nematodes seem very season dependent so you may need to do some research and plan a long term strategy.
If grubs go untreated then damage by birds and even badgers seems to be a real risk.
Good luck
R

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 12:29 »
Have you talked to any lawn professional organisations such as Greenthumb? Or posted on any other forums that deal with lawns or greens or golf courses etc?
I have heard of others using Greenthumb for example for domestic lawns with pest problems and not being put of by cost - I am in North Lincolnshire. Personally I know I have chafer beetle grubs in my garden as I find them from time to time when stripping turf or digging flower beds or veg plots but they seem to widespread so not what I call an invasion. My ducks love them so they get hand fed to the ducks.
I hope you get sorted.
R
Funny this post came up re- mentioning Green Thumb as I am currently struggling to keep up with all my gardening jobs. I've just had them round this morning to look at my three biggish lawns as they were recommended to me by a dear friend. Not only were they good but, when you tot up the price of lawn treatment stuff plus the time and effort taken, she said they were very reasonable. In short, got my free quote and went for their second option which includes scarifying and raking out the dead moss and tine aeration. I thought the price was well worth it.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

malcbrown

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 09:12 »
Thanks for the info I will contact Lawn Master to see what they can offer.

Regards Malcolm

xx
Lawn Chafer Grubs

Started by rowan57 on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post September 22, 2013, 16:05
by Trillium
xx
chafer grub?

Started by green jack on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 09, 2013, 23:07
by green jack
xx
grubs

Started by doug hutch on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 13:21
by 8doubles
xx
big fat grubs

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post October 28, 2007, 18:34
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 36 queries.