Flaming pests

• 12 Replies

Totty

Flaming pests
« on: October 11, 2013, 19:51 »
 The worst pest for me this year has been an as of yet un named catterpiller, nearly all black when fully grown. They then tick themselves just under the soil before turning into dark brown chrysalis. I'm keen to eradicate them before next season. Is there any soil drench that anyone can recommend, or has anyone had any experience of using a flame gun to kill anything in the top inch of soil. I'm only looking at treating the soil undercover. Outside is not so bad.

Totty.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Flaming pests
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 21:29 »
Can you tell us a bit more about them.

What crops did they attack ?

What size are they ?

When were they active i.e. eating crops ?

Do you have a photo of them ?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 22:02 »
You could always borrow a few chickens, they will soon clear the full site for you.   Environmentally friendly and they will fertilise it for you as well, what more could you ask for?  ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Totty

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 12:58 »
The chicken idea would work, but not feasible for the ground I want cleared.

Aunt Sally, they eat all crops, they ate dahlias and even some chrysanthemum leaves in the cut flower border.

They are a bit bigger than cabbage white catterpillars and are still active now ( although not in as many numbers as the height of summer.

Totty

ANHBUC

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 13:12 »
You could try enticing starlings, blackbirds etc. with some feed, they would do the same job once they know there is a good food source there.   ;)

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 15:16 »
Dig the soil over in the winter to expose overwintering chrysalises to the birds and weather.

Totty

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 19:14 »
As mentioned in the first post though, it's all undercover. Outside, the winter digging will expose the pests to frost and hungry birds, but in the greenhouses it won't. One of the greenhouses is 70ft square so that's why I'm looking at a more heavy handed approach.

Totty

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 20:16 »
Sorry Totty, I misread that.  Would it be possible to use a mini rotavator in the greenhouse?  The only other solution I can think of is to identify the pest and find a natural predator to introduce.  If you can post some photos of the caterpillar/grub/chrysalis someone might be able to identify it.  What was it eating in the greenhouse as this should also help to identify the pest?

Totty

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 08:55 »
I use a mini tiller and a large rotorvater in there, the trouble with that is, it will bury some deeper. When they are right near the surface is when they will be easier to treat I reckon.

Totty

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 10:52 »
I would be tempted to sieve them out then.  If you have children you could make a game of it with prizes for the amount they find.   :lol:  Then you can always put them on a bird table so they are not wasted.   ;)

Totty

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 12:49 »
Sieving would be the ideal way, if it were just in my 12x8 at home. In something 70ft square, it may take a while.....

Totty

Ema

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 13:50 »
Did think of this http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/mobile/nemasys-caterpillar-killer-pid2512.html but don't think they'll work on the ground.

I do like the chicken idea best or even some pigs

ANHBUC

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 17:26 »
Sieving would be the ideal way, if it were just in my 12x8 at home. In something 70ft square, it may take a while.....

Totty

Ahh, when you said 70ft square I thought you meant 10ft x 7ft and not 70ft x 70ft.   :wub:

xx
Flaming helicopters!!

Started by Kathogur on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 05, 2017, 23:25
by viettaclark
xx
Flaming Greenhouses!!!

Started by triage999 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 24, 2007, 18:13
by focusonveg
xx
Pests.... is this war?

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 23, 2012, 04:15
by Potiron
xx
pests

Started by dawnj on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 21:55
by Faz

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 39 queries.