Plastic covers

• 6 Replies

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
Plastic covers
« on: July 24, 2020, 10:01 »
I have just returned from the local place after looking at the new plastic sheeting that's available here. The cover I bought last year is 200 microns thick, but for various reasons needs replacing. So now I am debating to go for this reinforced stuff, it's not really any more expensive, but my question is; does anyone know if it actually is stronger. The blurb on the pack says that it could last 3 years, but to remove it for the winter and again refit. Also the size I require only comes in a see through green, mmh, also not sure about this?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Plastic covers
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 12:16 »
It's what you see on cheap polytunnels here, nasty stuff IMO.
The tiny 'windows' of plastic started dropping out of mine in its 2nd summer, but it was left up all year (who actually wants to remove covers over winter?  ::) )

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 12:28 »
Thanks mumofstig, yes I suppose for the price we are talking about, then what can one expect. I mean, to think about a manufacturer knocking a 6m by 4m cover out, and with a price here around a tenner, then I have to say that if I got a second year out of it, good enough. It brings in to question how good, and expensive are the real deal covers? We have no choice here at all though, just interesting.

Longshanks

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 12:22 »
I had some cheap stuff a while ago, which looked like it wouldn't last. I got some more and double layered it. Worked a treat. It was spare stuff lying around, which I couldn't see go to waste.

jezza

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 11:31 »
Hello look st a company called LBS  they're in the UK but do worldwide service  ask for ultraviolet stabilised plastic sheeting it  lasts longer   jezza

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 16:15 »
i agree with jezza we bought from LBS  and it lasted many years we have just replaced it with a new cover from LBS they offer very good advise on poly covers

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 16:28 »
I took a look at LBS, in the right circumstances, they would have to be the way to go. One of those fantastic structures built with good diameter Alkathene water pipe, and covered with the stuff they sell. Tempting as it is, I'd only fork out for it in UK, never know how things will turn out on longer term basis here in Russia. But maybe one day, I'll have a decent plot, in a nice part of England......happy thoughts at least.

xx
New Plastic Greenhouse

Started by Tommy54321 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post February 18, 2021, 20:05
by Yorkie
xx
Plastic Greenhouses

Started by morbidia on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post May 01, 2013, 20:05
by Muls
xx
Plastic for cloche

Started by Larissa68 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post April 12, 2021, 17:42
by jezza
xx
Plastic lean-too 'growhouse'

Started by rogertb on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post April 18, 2013, 17:28
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 48 queries.