Condensation in Allotment Shipping Container

• 10 Replies

Bryan and carol

Condensation in Allotment Shipping Container
« on: November 06, 2022, 19:17 »
We have two containers on our site, one remains dry and the other suffers from severe condensation. They are placed side by side and have similar vents at opposite top corners. We've tested the vents using smoke and they appear to work. The wet container does hold a supply of timber, which may be holding water, although it appears dry to the touch.

There is no indication of rainwater leakage, we fixed the roofs of both of them over the summer.

Any ideas?

AndyRVTR

Re: Condensation in Allotment Shipping Container
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 19:40 »
Is one more open to the elements than the other.. ie does one container get hit more from the wind?

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 20:00 »
Have you tried a hosepipe over the wet one to see if there are any leaks? Do the doors fit well? Do you store compost in there?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Bryan and carol

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2022, 20:10 »
Thanks for your responses.

The two containers stand side by side with about a metre between them. The are oriented north south, so one sees more of the westerly wind and the other the easterlies.

We've checked for rain ingress and there is no obvious sign of leakage. We did repair a few holes over the summer, in both containers, with adhesive lead flashing and then repainted the tops, so I'm pretty confident that they are watertight.

There are rubber seals around the doors which are in reasonable condition, but probably not airtight.

There is no compost currently stored in either container, but the dodgy one has quite a bit of timber while the other has none.  A small quantity of bagged compost may have been stored over the summer, I can't recall now which container was involved.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 20:13 by Bryan and carol »

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2022, 06:53 »
I suspect it is the stored wood.  I know that long-dead wood that I have stored, or in use (deck, etc.) picks up and absorbs condensed humidity, and releases it at other times (responding to air relative humidity and changes in temperature).
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Bryan and carol

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2022, 12:26 »
I suspect it is the stored wood.  I know that long-dead wood that I have stored, or in use (deck, etc.) picks up and absorbs condensed humidity, and releases it at other times (responding to air relative humidity and changes in temperature).
That's what I'm beginning to think too. I might try to persuade the guys on the site to build an external wood store, with a cover to keep the rain off, but otherwise open to the elements.

We have machinery stored in there and it is rusting, and we need to find a cure.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 12:27 by Bryan and carol »

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2022, 21:59 »
might seem a bit of a faff but would swapping over what is stored prove it either way.
from bow like to grow

Bryan and carol

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2022, 19:34 »
I guess that would provide a definitive answer, but we are talking about heavy kit and limited space in both containers. Not sure I could drum up the manpower to try !

Alank

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 18:51 »
It will be the wood mate. We once stored a lot of fence posts etc in our container when it was opened up you would think it had been raining in there.
I learned the lesson there, wood storage is now in an airy building or purpose built wood store and the container is to keep other stuff under lock and key safe and dry.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2022, 20:23 »
Do you think you would still get condensation from e.g. fence posts that were bought from a commercial supplier? We sell posts and canes, and are thinking of changing our shop from an increasingly dilapidated wooden shed, to shipping containers.

One will be lined etc., the other (for storage of bulkier and heavier items) will be standard but with some anti-condensation measures.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Alank

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2022, 20:44 »
Yes yorkie our posts etc were supplied from a sawmill and they are pressure treated. I was informed from a landscaper friend of mine that the wood is pressure treated and the treatment they use is now a water based product which after a while appears dry until you store it in a place with inadequate ventilation/airflow and then the wood can sweat and the resulting condensation has no where to go and that's when the problems start.

xx
When to move container perennials to larger container

Started by Tobiass on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post July 24, 2013, 15:02
by BobE
xx
Container Roses

Started by aec on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 19:31
by DavidT
xx
Container hellebores

Started by DIGGER on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post January 08, 2009, 23:58
by Trillium
xx
alpine container

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post March 20, 2024, 12:02
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 49 queries.